myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT

One of the wonderful things about pushing the envelope as you have is that those experiences burn much deeper into one's psyche than an experience of lessor intensity. At least for me. I can sometimes bring up the emotion of a hard ice climb or a bike ride gone wrong with such clarity it is almost like it is happening now.

I sometimes long to have those abilities back to be able to push myself to that level. But, it's all relative. It might not provide the same bragging rights...but, as you know, we can still push ourselves into the same emotional zone with the opportunities we have available as we get along in years!
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--interesting points. But I think you are a pretty iconic individual, and mass marketing of products under-appreciates such people.

I started on a stock windsurfer, teak booms. For San Francisco Bay, with daily winds often over 20 mph, I moved towards the windsurfer rocket, and then a custom fiberglass board. But that was limiting, often the wind was 2 or 3 miles off-shore, and an Ultra Cat and then an Equipe worked really well and got me into racing. But racing and long boards were a tiny part of the market. Different people have different motives. I love cruising the Bay, and training for races was almost always more fun than the racing. But the market went in different directions. As president of US Windsurfing, I tried, without much success, to try to rebuild the base of windsurfing and have new sailors learning and a building block to make us more competitive in international sailing. One of our local sailors was in fact the US representative for the women's fleet in Rio, and did very well when it was windy.

The market was for tricks. It is interesting to see it back with winging. It is easier to learn and safer than kiting, and has the sport growing again. Us racers and cruisers are such a minor part of the market that we have to pre-order equipment to get it at all. But the IQ Foil is a pretty nice kit for racing. The GB sailor did very well in the recent regatta, and just last week we had the Hawaii kids here again, sailing 8.0's in big winds. I'm pretty sure the sport will not die.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys just kill me! If your ageing bodies want pain and happy head
chemistry, teach your grand kids to skateboard. I have several memories
burned into my mind from windsurfing (and other sports) trauma that I
could do without. My mind was more free without those memories.
They're useful, but they also cost me a certain amount of bliss. I applaud
your Zen approach to that trauma. Perhaps some day, I will develop that
direction, but I might be more of a dying light rager, than fading away soldier.

-Craig

p.s. I also have some most excellent burned in memories of perfect days,
like the one from my Avatar
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are really committed to something, there are often tests that build your strength, character and dedication. Needless to say, there is always some bad mixed in the wealth of good. That's how we learn and get the most out of life. Perfect fodder to share with like minds, and those who have an interest.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Amigo, well said, and aren't we all a little "nutty"

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
When you are really committed to something, there are often tests that build your strength, character and dedication. Needless to say, there is always some bad mixed in the wealth of good. That's how we learn and get the most out of life. Perfect fodder to share with like minds, and those who have an interest.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig

It’s not the pain I remember out of an epic activity. It’s the clarity of the stimulation one feels. The colors are deeper, sounds are clearer, odors are imprinted. It just seems like once you pass into this zone the memories become so much brighter. To be honest, I don’t remember the pain really. But, I do remember how the ice smelled that day on a climb I really pushed to complete or a bike ride that was just too far out there to be safe or comfortable.

As SWC said, most of us here have experienced this. GT’s beautiful prose, as he relates his epic crossings, causes me to bring up similar feelings of past adventures.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess as windsurfers, we are all a bit "nutty". Sadly though, our kind of nuttiness is vanishing quickly as the sport dwindles.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
So, do you think Diablo Canyon should close or stay open? The issue is:

Quote:
Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) decided to shut down Diablo Canyon mainly for economic reasons. The nuclear plant uses ocean water to cool its reactors, and the cooling technology is so destructive to ocean ecosystem that the technology is being completely phased out of power plants in California.

Oops, maybe a little hasty with the shutdown given the loss of 10% of the state's power and the potential for more and more blackouts because the state can't produce enough green energy to replace Diablo. Nothing unusual for California.

Techno formed an opinion as soon as one of his red state e-mails told him what to think. Scolded me for waiting for facts. So, an update. Diablo Canyon provides about 8% of California’s electricity, and now Newsom favors keeping it open for a period of time. The newly passed legislation provides money that could be used to do so. Newsom is not nearly as liberal as Techno has been brainwashed to believe. He is running for President, and is afraid that a late summer failure of power will hurt his chances. Pour money in, forget the market. How Republican of him.

There is a very different calculation involved in keeping an uneconomic source like Diablo Canyon open for a few years than in building new nukes. Maybe it makes sense, maybe not. To me, the question involves who benefits and who pays. You won’t hear that debate from either party—and never from Techno.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
techno900 wrote:
So, do you think Diablo Canyon should close or stay open? The issue is:

Quote:
Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) decided to shut down Diablo Canyon mainly for economic reasons. The nuclear plant uses ocean water to cool its reactors, and the cooling technology is so destructive to ocean ecosystem that the technology is being completely phased out of power plants in California.

Oops, maybe a little hasty with the shutdown given the loss of 10% of the state's power and the potential for more and more blackouts because the state can't produce enough green energy to replace Diablo. Nothing unusual for California.

Techno formed an opinion as soon as one of his red state e-mails told him what to think. Scolded me for waiting for facts. So, an update. Diablo Canyon provides about 8% of California’s electricity, and now Newsom favors keeping it open for a period of time. The newly passed legislation provides money that could be used to do so. Newsom is not nearly as liberal as Techno has been brainwashed to believe. He is running for President, and is afraid that a late summer failure of power will hurt his chances. Pour money in, forget the market. How Republican of him.

There is a very different calculation involved in keeping an uneconomic source like Diablo Canyon open for a few years than in building new nukes. Maybe it makes sense, maybe not. To me, the question involves who benefits and who pays. You won’t hear that debate from either party—and never from Techno.

Fits "Nutty California" like a glove.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this is nationwide, not just California....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDVwYqs0ws&t=28s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 187, 188, 189 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 188 of 205

Jump to: