myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 319, 320, 321 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hilarious. As Vientomas’s source indicated an AR15 CAN use NATO ammunition. It is, really, the same caliber. How do I know this? While both ISO and Techno quoted sources that utilized double speak from pro gun sources, I’ve, actually, reloaded .223 ammo to get ballistics that nearly replicate NATO ammo in a bolt action rifle. And, a friend of mine HAS an AR15 with NATO 5.56 stamped on the chamber. So….

It is true that some AR15’ s will only chamber the .223 rem version.

Trivia…the .223 Remington was developed under a contract with the US military and was used in the Vietnam War. Or, by ISO’s and Techno’s version…”a non military operation”. The M16 used the NATO version of the .223 until the mid 80’s when the new cartridge was developed that ISO and Techno are trying to confuse us with.

So. The bottom line is this.

The AR15 is the parent weapon of the M16 and both used .223 Remington in a well let’s call it a police action (Vietnam War)

New AR15 s can be had on line that use the current .223 ammo (NATO 5.56)

Summary. Almost any idiot can buy a semi auto weapon that uses military grade ammo with a 30 round clip. Is this a good thing Techno and Iso?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:
Quote:
It is, really, the same caliber. How do I know this? While both ISO and Techno quoted sources that utilized double speak from pro gun sources, I’ve, actually, reloaded .223 ammo to get ballistics that nearly replicate NATO ammo in a bolt action rifle. And, a friend of mine HAS an AR15 with NATO 5.56 stamped on the chamber. So….

Same caliber, yes, but a AR15 chambered for .223 can't fire NATO 5.56. However, a AR15 chambered for NATO 5.56 can shoot .223, but not a perfect fit.

So, acknowledged, an AR 15 can shoot military grade ammo, but that point isn't much of an issue. AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE, I am not opposed to a ban on high capacity magazines, which is the ISSUE. That's were the "nut jobs" go because they can fire lots of shots in a short period of time. If there were no AR 15 type rifles in existence, the "nut jobs" would be carrying multiple pistols with several magazines each. Fewer shots in a given time period, but also very devastating, and they are easier to conceal.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I know almost nothing about guns, I do know that the AR15 is a firearm that was designed for killing people. In either its military (automatic) or non-military (semi-automatic) versions, they can still use the same deadly family of ammunition.

It's kind of foolish to brush off deadliness of the semi-automatic version, because as history has proven, its more than capable to wound and kill vast numbers of people in no time at all. As fast as you can pull the trigger. Add in high capacity magazines, and massive death and mayhem are at your finger tip.

Need I say any more? Even techno900 should be able to get the picture and better understand why the AR15 should be banned, or at the very least, strictly controlled.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno

Bard simply stated some time ago that no military uses 22 caliber ammo. I disagreed. I have continued to state that these weapons do use 22 caliber (223 and 5.56 are less than .23 in dia). They use ammo that is or is very similar to weapons used in military operations. Yet, both you and Iso want to argue this point. Yet again, you pull up a source that is outdated. You CAN purchase an AR15 that is chambered for 5.56. I don’t see your point except to, incorrectly, prove I’m wrong?

I agree high capacity magazines are ONE of the issues. But, the caliber is a problem too. This caliber was designed (in all 3 versions we’re discussing) to provide maximum damage with minimal recoil which increases accuracy in hitting targets. It’s really pretty simple. They are incredibly useful in inflicting a great deal of damage. Except for the fun factor (yeah I’ve blown the sh$t out of a bowling ball with an AR15) they have no use for the every day homeowner for personal defense and are just plain dangerous.

As far as comparisons with semi auto pistols. Someone adept at pistol use can kill a lot of people. I own a 9 mm semi auto. That’s the most popular on the market. I also have a .223 target bolt action. What these calibers are capable of doing are vastly vastly vastly different things. So, the fatality rate at a mass shooting will be higher.

These weapons should be outlawed or allowed under limited licensing. That’s common sense.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:
Quote:
You CAN purchase an AR15 that is chambered for 5.56. I don’t see your point except to, incorrectly, prove I’m wrong?

I didn't say or infer anything like that.

There are lots of rifles that shoot .223 and 5.56 ammo that are not in the assault weapon style. Lots of other ammunition and rifles that are as deadly or more so than .223 and 5.56. So, the issue is not the ammo but magazine capacity. I am also not against banning the sales AR15 style rifles, but that was tried once with little benefit.

I get the hype for banning assault style weapons, but I have yet to see any practical plan that could be workable and make a real change.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that posting something 4 times makes any sense at all. Even once would have been too much, especially in such a losing battle here.

Yet, I do have to give techno900 some credit. He does see the problem with high capacity magazines. Maybe in the right light, you can see his liberal stain.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno

YOUR party has prevented for nearly 30 years the gathering and sharing of data on gun violence. You don’t recall the freezing of Federal funding to study gun violence? Now, you claim there just aren’t workable solutions. Priceless.

Still the statistic are compelling. Even the studies the NRA and Federal Govt could not stop:

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2022/06/15/did-the-assault-weapons-ban-of-1994-bring-down-mass-shootings-heres-what-the-data-tells-us/

Reinstate the assault weapons ban. It did help prevent episodes such as the most recent mass shootings in Texas and Illinois.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I don't think that posting something 4 times makes any sense at all. Even once would have been too much, especially in such a losing battle here.

Yet, I do have to give techno900 some credit. He does see the problem with high capacity magazines. Maybe in the right light, you can see his liberal stain.

It's the website that makes posting an issue. I can never get a post to go on the first try, and obviously, I had to run and didn't check what actually got posted. Now it's too late to delete.

As I have said before, guns will always be around no matter what new laws are created. So, the obvious issue is people, the nut jobs and how they came to be. The typical stable family unit of 50+ years ago is no longer around like it used to be. It's a complicated issue and will not be resolved anytime soon.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one point of view. Here is another. Guns will be around no matter what new laws are created. So, the obvious issue is how many guns are available for the nut jobs to get access to and how hard is it for them to get access to those guns. Think auto accidents. They have zero auto accidents on the Galapagos Islands. I bet they have very few accidents in Rochester, Nevada. 50 years ago, they didn’t have access to an AR-15.
It is a complicated issue involving both people & guns. I do agree with you that it will not get resolved anytime soon like it did in other countries because we have something the other countries didn’t have; the American Taliban. A political party that will do anything they can to allow nut jobs to have access to guns and to make sure that there are more guns than people in this country.

Coachg
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this before. This is a multi-part problem. Whenever one deals with issues like this, maybe it's best to break it down with a little math.

For example (made up numbers because the GOP doesn't allow us to share real numbers....)

x = guns available
y = crazy folks who can get guns
z = gun capacity to kill (magazines, ballistics)

Let's say we reduce each by 10% Gun Deaths = (x) (y) (z) = .9 x .9 x .9 =.729.

That's a reduction in gun deaths of 27%.

Of course there is some overlap. And, maybe we can to better than 10%. But, EACH aspect of the gun issue should be addressed to get the numbers down. Throwing our hands in the air and saying there isn't a solution is forgetting that we need reductions. Those are actual human lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 319, 320, 321 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 320 of 331

Jump to: