myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simmer 4.7 and 5.3 scam in classifieds.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shahn1508

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Simmer 4.7 and 5.3 scam in classifieds. Reply with quote

The photos in the ad are mine and the sails are mine. This ad is a scam. I notified admin but not sure when they will respond.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Neil Pryde..
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep these classifieds are defunct. I got scammed
csorens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: I windsurf classifieds are full of scammers Reply with quote

Beware these classifieds! I was scammed for a supposed Naish Foil Board in Nampa, Idaho and I ended up losing $750. Somebody has hacked into these ads and is very clever at posing as a seller.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. $175 for an Ezzy
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has quizzing sellers or buyers to try to verify their legitimacy been fruitless? The two or three I've quizzed after smelling a rat ran for the hills. For example, "Where do you sail at home?" "Favorite sailing destinations?" "What sizes do you use most?" "What wind speeds?" "What size daggerboard do you run?" "Who's your favorite shaper?" "What loft?" "Fin sizes and types?" "What are your name and mailing address?" ... then Google them to vet them. How about "Oh, I travel there often. Let's meet and make the sale face to face."
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just lazy and stupid.
cbknap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: I think Iso is right on this one Reply with quote

Isobars wrote:"What size daggerboard do you run?"

Yeah if you can't talk to the person on the phone and verify SOMETHING about them by all means don't send them a PayPal.

I like Iso's daggerboard question.....

Me: "Uh, uh...you mean 20 years ago when we were sailing longboards?"

Iso (presumably): "Yes!"
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if not by phone. One "buyer" disappeared when I inquired by email with a few such questions. I try to phrase them as though I'm just trying to help with gear selection, not give him the third degree. He had apparently assumed his unusual name from a phone book or the internet, as it produced a couple of legitimate hits on Google which raised a red flag and helped me focus my questions. He also wanted to send me extra money to "lock in" the sale for him. One of the Google hits was an extensive website of a real person, whose many interests and photos clearly showed a real person but did not indicate any interest in water sports.

Two bona fide buyers, OTOH, were easy to find, email, and talk to on the phone, so I felt confident shipping stuff to them. Besides, what scammer would want to get stuck with a widget he had no use for? The guy who wanted to buy one widget from me, pay with a cashier's check (commonly faked) for shipping to some place in the Middle east, and round up the price to the nearest thousand dollars, however, was easy to spot. The widget was a high-mileage 14-years-old Ford van.

I plan to post some classifieds soon, and will include my real contact information in the ad. It's not like every scammer on the planet doesn't already know anything I could post. If they don't trust me enough to send a verifiable personal check in advance, I don't trust them enough to package up and ship the widget.

Another tip: I quit Paypal years ago when they refused to cash me out ("it's not our policy to send customers money we owe them") and demanded my private cell phone number.
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you send personal checks to strangers? With your ABA and account number on them? I'm trying to avoid personal checks altogether.

fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: