myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BLOG: WEIRD NPH IMPACTS THE WEST FROM BAJA TO GORGE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: BLOG: WEIRD NPH IMPACTS THE WEST FROM BAJA TO GORGE Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Normally as the winter season passes the average position of the North Pacific High moves north into Southern California and then Central California coastal waters and they see a period of frequent strong NW ocean wind. Then the NPH moves closer to the San Francisco Bay Area and NW ocean winds ramp up there and weaken in Southern California and Baja waters. And finally, in summer, the NPH moves west of the Pacific Northwest lingers helping to provide the powerful winds of the Columbia River Gorge while June Gloom sets in for San Francisco. But this summer has been surprisingly different.

https://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-weird-north-pacific-high-impacts-all-of-the-west-coast/

Any one of the days this summer is just a low probability anomaly but having so many in a few months is a serious anomaly. To use a poker example. Getting dealt a royal flush is just a low probability event. But getting dealt many royal flushes in an evening would make you begin to think that something is messing with the deck of cards.

It is like the great shot below that I got in La Ventana. There are almost never winter rainbows in La Ventana and the kiter has the perfect colored outfit and smiling and looking at the camera? That is why almost everyone that sees this photo thinks it is photoshopped. But it is a real photo. BUT, if I kept having such low probability photos all the time people would get suspicious.

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow'com

Xnip2022-07-05_11-38-53.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  718.38 KB
 Viewed:  4320 Time(s)

Xnip2022-07-05_11-38-53.jpg

jonboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your recent blog:
“The Times They Are A-Changin'”
I thought I was losing my mind this season.
As an East Bay sailor, I've been pretty frustrated this year, waiting for IT to happen, the season to start, but it just never seems to get over the threshold. Last year, Point Isabel was epic, imo. This year meah...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: