myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
setting minimum or no mastfoot extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In simple terms:

The only issue here is - What should your sail look like when properly rigged?

Rig the sail with the collar on the extension at its lowest setting.

Downhaul to the max and see if the sail has enough downhaul. If too much, back off a small bit.

If not enough downhaul, move the collar up a notch and re-downhaul.

Not much else can be done here unless we can see a photo of the sail when rigged.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I rig my sails on a 45 cm long MF extension, which has a collar allowing variable extensions depending on the sail and the downhaul I want to give.
I also have, however, a much shorter NP Mastfoot integrated base which somebody gave me and I never used. It is about 15 cm long with no collar and I thought of using it because it is lighter.
The problem I saw was that with a 458 cm sail luff, the 460 cm mast would sit so low at the bottom of the MF base, that there would be little or no room for further tensioning the downhaul.
I thought the logic of my question was self-evident. In fact cgoudie 1’s reply fits into it, when he suggests that, yes, I have to give some extension to the MF. In this case I’d have to fall back on the variable extension MF as I have always done.
The sail is brand new. I’ll rig it in my yard as soon as the weather allows and will take it from there.

Thanks
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why you make things so complicated.

Why not check out the following tutorial on sail rigging. While its for the Sailworks Revolution, the basics for rigging any modern sail are there in reasonable detail.

https://www.sailworks.com/revolution-rigging
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like swchandler states: why make things complicated?

first of all, I have NEVER had a mast extension with 0 cm
when I tried to make one as such, it did not function well
thus either need one made to zero - rare, I would imagine
or live with minimum 2-5cm extension

so ... with a 458 cm luff and 460 mast and 2-5cm extension
you will NOT downhaul to the base - lots of room for max,min and mid
and YES - you will have some cm of downhaul rope showing between pulleys

if we are talkin bout a Loft Switchblade 6.8, a 430 mast with 28cm ext is recommended and this is what I anticipate is recommended for whatever your sail may be - however, a 460 will work - perhaps not ideally, but neither you nor I would know the difference Smile and that Loftsail has no adjustable cap
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
that Loftsail has no adjustable cap[/i]

That would rule it out for me. Picture this common scenario where I sail: It's dusk. The wind has picked up and become rock steady. The swell is getting cleaner and bigger. We really should rig smaller, but there's just not enough daylight left. Your only safe, sane option is to downhaul (and outhaul) further and get back out there.

You grab your Clamcleat handle, sit down at your extension, and peel back the pulley cover, expecting to DH the crap out of it, snug up the OH, and run back into into the water.

CRAP! There's no more room for extra downhaul!

Your options have now changed. You can:
1. Cinch up your chin strap and torso armor, get back out there, gut it out, and learn how to sail way overpowered, maybe to the point of risking injury. Some evening sessions are worth that.

2. Unlash your outhaul, loosen your inhaul, slide your boom up to the top of its cutout, unlash your downhaul, slide the bottom of the cutout up the mast to the boom WITH NO OUTHAUL TENSION, pull your extension out of the mast, raise its collar, put all that crap back together, DH the crap out of it, and HOPE to hell you raised the collar enough. If you didn't, repeat this entire step until your mast sits where you shouldda had it in the first place. Of course, by that time it's dark and all that effort was wasted ... except that at least your extension collar is where it should be.

3. Tear everything down and go home with your tail between your legs, wondering why the hell you let that happen.

4. If you have an adjustable head cap (I'd own no other kind), just loosen the DH and OH a bit (NEVER let the bottom of the boom cutout touch the boom unless your OH is completely slack!), shorten the head cap, DH, OH, and get back on the water.

5. There's another option, but I and the sailmakers I've asked about it emphatically reject it. It's "always rig your sail exactly the same regardless of conditions". They put endless research and you put big bucks into tunability; why throw all that away?

THOSE, in my seldom-humble opinion, are some of the reasons to set up your rigs to leave a bit of room for the unexpected, or at the very least to cover its expected range. Another is being able most days to enjoy one sail for many hours while almost everyone else rerigs over and over and over and over.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to use a mast top tip extension cut out of a broken top.
Sailing in waves I feel more comfortable running my mast (bottom) extension a bit shorter when they ask for 26-28cm...

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd regard an extended mast top as a break waiting to happen and a fat spot to shove through a tight luff sleeve. Raising the mast sounds easier and safer.

Besides, what mortals breaks masts any more? i.e., What's a "broken top"? Smile Sumos changed all that 20 years ago, and I assume some competitors have caught up by now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: