myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Toll to Access TI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TI no TOLL petition Reply with quote

cosmoecho wrote:
the petition
I don't know, maybe I'm too feisty here? Why would we (and other stakeholders) go cute with a change.org petition? A petition is effectively acknowledging a proposed plan that's actually not meeting the requirements of the law, violates agreements that were reached to allow the re-development of the islands in the first place. And if none of that was the case, the proposed plan would still have to go through a full environmental review under CEQA, as opposed to having "conversations" as commissioner Haney suggested in the last TIMMA board meeting. Is this an alley we want to go down?
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TI no TOLL petition Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
cosmoecho wrote:
the petition
I don't know, maybe I'm too feisty here? Why would we (and other stakeholders) go cute with a change.org petition? A petition is effectively acknowledging a proposed plan that's actually not meeting the requirements of the law, violates agreements that were reached to allow the re-development of the islands in the first place. And if none of that was the case, the proposed plan would still have to go through a full environmental review under CEQA, as opposed to having "conversations" as commissioner Haney suggested in the last TIMMA board meeting. Is this an alley we want to go down?

I honestly do not know. We spoke to some folks at Berkeley yesterday and this idea got circulated and did not meet any negative comments.
Do you think of some other outreach we can do?
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TI no TOLL petition Reply with quote

cosmoecho wrote:
Do you think of some other outreach we can do?
Personally and just my viewpoint - the last TIMMA board meeting featuring commissioners Haney, Ronen and Mandelman got me thinking that they really don't care and/or are way out of their depth. Look at commissioner Ronen who shows up late just to be seen fumbling her earrings into place in front of everyody. This pretty much sums it up for me. They really don't care and will vote for anything SFCTA puts in front of them without regard for outreach, whether this meets the law or anything else. With that, I am having a hard time envisioning how these ppl as members of the SF BoS will come to their senses. In my book, this is headed straight to litigation. It remains important to point out every step of the way what's wrong with the proposed plan and create a track record of that. Emails and letters to the SFTCA clerk are supposed to become official record for this, although I am under the impression the clerk keeps dropping the ball, so keep an eye out for comments making it to public record (or not, whatever the case may be).
srabosi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TI no TOLL petition Reply with quote

Your optimism is cute, but there is a very good chance an expensive legal battle will not work. And things are moving fast in the wrong direction.

The fact that most people in SF Bay have no idea this toll is coming is enough reason for a petition imo. The press need to know, the public need to know. That's it. Enough has been done behind closed doors, and we need some daylight on this thing.

If it's just a few grumpy old dudes griping about it on an outdated forum (shots fired! ha), there isn't going to be much public pressure applied. At least in the past couple weeks the public comments have grown and more people (myself included) have gotten engaged. I think we need more of that. And we need to engage other groups besides windsurfers, because let's face it - we are not that many.

Maybe some of you are just more optimistic about the outcome. I'm feeling pessimistic based on what I've seen so far, which makes me think it's time to lean more into the activism direction. I'm open to other ideas, too.

jpf18 wrote:
cosmoecho wrote:
the petition
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.change.org/p/vote-no-to-toll-for-treasure-island-admittance
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.change.org/p/vote-no-to-toll-for-treasure-island-admittance
Riptide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:aa910d84-7850-402e-8789-748b48ec91ff

All, we could use your help spreading the word about the city's proposed toll of $10 to access TI--that will be $17 + parking for east bay visitors. The proposal is essentially illegal, but the city doesn't seem to care and is moving forward with frightening speed. Please encourage your base/network to write the city (particularly if they live in the city) to express strong opposition to the proposal. This is not about tolls--there is, actually, an argument that a toll that specifically targets commuters during peak hours between TI and SF is reasonable--this is about the way the city has expanded the toll to include all visitors at all times from all directions without doing any of the economic impact analysis and permit revisions required to make such a massive and consequential change.

https://www.sfcta.org/events/special-joint-transportation-authoritytimma-board-february-15-2022

I include the SFBA's letter to the board of TIMMA and a list of relevant city officials who need to hear from us:

ChanStaff@sfgov.org
MandelmanStaff@sfgov.org
MelgarStaff@sfgov.org
Dean.Preston@sfgov.org
Ahsha.Safai@sfgov.org
Shamann.Walton@sfgov.org
Catherine.Stefani@sfgov.org
Hillary.Ronen@sfgov.org
Aaron.Peskin@sfgov.org
Gordon.Mar@sfgov.org
Matt.Haney@sfgov.org
mayorlondonbreed@sfgov.org
clerk@sfcta.org
city.administrator@sfgov.org
cityattorney@sfcityatty.org
Bob.Beck@sfgov.org

Last edited by Riptide on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a notice that next Tuesday's meeting that was to adopt the tolls has been cancelled. No explanation. It will eventually be re-noticed and a staff report will come out the Friday before, very late in the day.
cosmoecho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: TI no TOLL petition hits over 1k signatures Reply with quote

TI no TOLL petition hits over 1k signatures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: