myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Duotone Epace sail with maui sails SRS mast.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
surfsuppp



Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Duotone Epace sail with maui sails SRS mast. Reply with quote

Duotone Sails.

So I bought a 2020 Epace and I have now used it twice with my maui sails sis wave 75% carbs mast. When sailing its seems really wiggly. Its always snapping back in bigger waves like its a 10.0 sail with a 490 mast. I am not used to these free race sails at all. I sort of prefer bump and jump stuff, freestyle sails. So it could just me however I am determine to at least figure it out even if its not my cup of tea. the sail feels just straight up weak and yet it certainly has power. I couldn't seem to depower it at all and yes I had less downhill for what I thought would be lighter wind. So it wasn't twisting off as much it is a 5.8. on a 430 mast. Duotone just posts their mast types with a constant curve no other specs.

Sois it the sail mast combo, rigging reasons or just me or the kicker and the worst to figure out all of the above.

Thanks for any input.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
akrausz



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Location: FL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MS mast bends differently than a Duotone mast. It won't work as well and will have less range, and consequently won't twist off as much when in a Duotone sail. Freerace sails are not designed to depower like wave sails. But it should be usable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swchandler



Joined: 08 Nov 1993
Posts: 10480

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not specify the size of the Duotone sail you bought, but one thing that is often not considered is ensuring that you have an appropriately sized fin to balance with the sail. With too small of a fin, your sail will feel pqwerless, and it will not be up to the task.

Your problem is most likely the mast, yet you don't want to forget having the right sized fin, especially using larger sails that have significantly more area down low in the sail. In addition to the size of the fin, its design is also an important factor. Freerace sails work best with higher aspect fins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jingebritsen



Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Posts: 3370

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pro's and con's concerning less than suggested down haul are amplified by a mismatched mast.

less tension helps 5% on low end.

takes away stability 10%, takes away comfort when powered to lit up in gusts and/or chop up to 20%

add to that the mismatched mast creates ugly performance.

when could less down haul help most? the lightest of wind with no gusts and no chop. so, in most cases in my world, just a waste of time.

we are discussing a 5.8 sail. yesterday, i was on a 9.0 in very light wind with virtually no chop. i still wanted the right tensions for what ever slippery benefits when going as fast as the day would let me.

next time, just rig bigger, and be thankful you are not living in florida?

_________________
www.aerotechsails.com
www.exocet-original.com
www.iwindsurf.com
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joethewindsufa



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1190
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just reading about this sail, the sail + mast combo issue , etc etc

one thing they are saying about the sail is that it rigs from NO leech to leech down to 5th batten, which obviously means major range and downhaul is of the utmost importance with this sail

as the sail has NO cambers, I would be surprised the mast is so off - an online mast selector says MauiSails tends more to hard top (were pure hard top originally) and Duotone SDM tends towards soft top (surprising to me) - RDM is right in the middle of CC

in any case - try different downhauls (and masts if you can - seems Ezzy is close) and post results pls
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
surfsuppp



Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the pro's and con's concerning less than suggested down haul are amplified by a mismatched mast.

less tension helps 5% on low end.

takes away stability 10%, takes away comfort when powered to lit up in gusts and/or chop up to 20%

add to that the mismatched mast creates ugly performance.

when could less down haul help most? the lightest of wind with no gusts and no chop. so, in most cases in my world, just a waste of time.

we are discussing a 5.8 sail. yesterday, i was on a 9.0 in very light wind with virtually no chop. i still wanted the right tensions for what ever slippery benefits when going as fast as the day would let me.



next time, just rig bigger, and be thankful you are not living in florida?




Frankly right now, at least you can ge3t out to sail, maybe not in great conditions but out non the less. So the grass is always greener you know. I was rigged big o this particular day and wanted to see how the sail would react. I down sized to a 5.0. But it just felt like jelly in my hands and I could feel the snap but it felt delayed as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
surfsuppp



Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
just reading about this sail, the sail + mast combo issue , etc etc

one thing they are saying about the sail is that it rigs from NO leech to leech down to 5th batten, which obviously means major range and downhaul is of the utmost importance with this sail

as the sail has NO cambers, I would be surprised the mast is so off - an online mast selector says MauiSails tends more to hard top (were pure hard top originally) and Duotone SDM tends towards soft top (surprising to me) - RDM is right in the middle of CC

in any case - try different downhauls (and masts if you can - seems Ezzy is close) and post results pls


I thought I might buy the adjustable cam downhill extension might make a world of difference or non! Frankly I just dont hitch I like free ride sails that tend towards freereace, not playful enough. I love the maui sail switches they were right in the middle. I should probably talk to the 2s guy about them, Phil doesnt seem all that interested in discussing anything .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
surfsuppp



Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You did not specify the size of the Duotone sail you bought, but one thing that is often not considered is ensuring that you have an appropriately sized fin to balance with the sail. With too small of a fin, your sail will feel pqwerless, and it will not be up to the task.

Your problem is most likely the mast, yet you don't want to forget having the right sized fin, especially using larger sails that have significantly more area down low in the sail. In addition to the size of the fin, its design is also an important factor. Freerace sails work best with higher aspect fins.


Thank you for brining up the fin, I never really think about the fin in concert with everything else, unless I am thing primarily thinking just about the fin.

Sorry its a 5.7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group