myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got cataracts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Got cataracts? Reply with quote

Many (most?) of us sunny sports addicts will get cataracts, and we're not likely to know it until our eye doc spots them in an eye (not just vision) exam. My doc told me last winter that he saw some indication of them, and suggested cataract surgery may be necessary some day. This summer he recommended it soon, even though I still could barely perceive the problem in daylight or in sparse traffic after dark.

Got one eye done Thursday, getting the other done Monday. This gives me a couple of days to make easy before-and-after, side-by-side comparisons between the two eyes with and w/o cataracts. Holy cow ... it's as though I had been wearing brown-tinted sunglasses with a light coating of Vaseline. The improvements in acuity and color perception are far beyond my expectations, and should keep improving for another week or two. I expect that by the middle of next week I will no longer need glasses beyond several feet for the first time in my life. I'll still benefit from reading glasses up close, but that was an easy personal upfront choice compared to a lesser improvement over a broader range.

Oh, yeah ... the surgery. It took 10-15 imperceptible minutes wide awake, and I pretty much forgot about it except for normal total blurring in that eye through the next day. I've had more bothersome pimples.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG--Isobars listened to a doctor?
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Iso. I also need this surgery and I’ve noticed a good bit of decline lately. Glad yo hear you had a good result.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've already noticed it, you're probably overdue for the surgery. Don't put it off out of worry; on a scale of direct stares to hangnails, the surgery is comparable to a casual fingernail clipping. Today's surgery took all of 6 minutes ... too brief to even fall asleep and, again, imperceptible. If I didn't have both eyes dilated, I could probably drive right now. It truly is a non-event except for a few days of occasional visual distortions and juggling eye drop schedules. I am allowed to walk for miles two days after surgery and do anything short of tackle football a week later. If it's time, Git 'er done!

bmoore98 wrote:
Thanks for the report Iso. I also need this surgery and I’ve noticed a good bit of decline lately. Glad yo hear you had a good result.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my worse eye's vision checked today, 5 days post op. Naked, its vision is 20/30 ... the best it's been, even with glasses, in my entire life ... and it hasn't even healed 100% yet.
windyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Eyes Reply with quote

Had both mine done about 5 years ago had lens implants no more glasses see like half my age 33 life changing no sweat getting it done
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eyes Reply with quote

windyjoe wrote:
Had both mine done about 5 years ago had lens implants no more glasses see like half my age 33 life changing no sweat getting it done

Does it mean that they are multufocal? Otherwise I do not understand why glasses are not needed.
windyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Eyes Reply with quote

Had cataract surgery and while they did that they put in lens implant wore glasses for reading now no glasses needed at all cataracts affected all vision near and far did right eye first left eye month later see like a eagle now Very Happy
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Doc said multifocal not recommended, but I am naturally nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other. Had both eyes done the same way, one for reading and one for distance so no glasses needed, but I do wear glasses for driving so both eyes see well as distance. Dr's won't do the near and far sighted combo unless it was natural before the cataracts. It's a brain adaption thing where the eye that is out of focus is ignored and not apparent.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of today, my vision in both eyes tests better than it's ever been in my life. That's worth needing readers for closeup work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: