myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hip Replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months, much reading, consultations with three hip surgeons including the big resurfacing dog Lucaro suggested (Dr. Pritchett in Seattle), and better problem isolation later, I'm leaning towards THR (total hip replacement) instead of HRA (hip resurfacing arthroscopy). HRA has many very significant advantages, but the carefully chosen doctors I consulted say my age (7Cool trumps all those benefits, that it alone is a deal-breaker regardless of any other factors.

I was quite disappointed, until Dr. Pritchett suggested an intermediate option that may be the best of both options for me: THR with a larger-than-standard femoral head/ball. I'm taking that suggestion next week to one of the hip surgeons who recommended Pritchett to me. Not only does Pritchett absolutely gush over him, he's 15 minutes away, not three hours IF Snoqualmie Pass is clear.

One thing I'm NOT going to do unless my cancer takes off again is wait util I'm crippled to operate. I look at all these people who walk like T H I S and wonder WTH they're WAITNG for. I talked to one guy who walked that way very severely, and was surprised to hear his answer when I asked him if he was facing hip surgery: "Oh, I got a new hip already. I'm just used to walking like this now after years of hobbling this way."

Whatever surgeon and technique I use, I'm gonna push for early next fall. I'm already researching all-terrain rollators.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a woman in her late 60's who sails in the same crowd I do. She had a hip and knee replaced ten years ago. She rips.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars-I think the larger ball is to further reduce risk of dislocation. If you can find a surgeon doing the anterior approach, I think you will be happy with the small incision size, reduced risk of dislocation, and quicker recovery. I get the sense that most surgeons are moving in that direction or minimally invasive posterior technique.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a total replacement on my right hip on Wednesday (11/24/21). The goal is to get back to freestyle by May 2022.
Here's what I can report so far:
(background- male, 57, in good shape, former Div 1 athlete, severe degenerative osteoarthritis + torn cartilage in rt. hip. Got to the point it was waking me up from sleep and nearly impossible to put on rt. sock & shoe).
This surgery is not for sissies. It it invasive and violent: like being in a car wreck. I did this as outpatient: surgery at 11am home by 5 pm. They wanted me on a walker for the first week, then cane, then by myself after two weeks. I ditched the walker last Saturday (3 days) and can walk on my own already. I use the cane occaisionally. I do my PT everyday, 3x a day.
This surgery is very similar to orthroscopic knee miniscus surgery (I've had it on both knees 20 yrs ago) in terms of pain, stiffness, and recovery to mobility. Actually it may be slightly better. The good, is that all my hip pain from worn cartilage and siatica is GONE! There's other pain from having a spike driven into ones femur there, but it gets better everyday. I will post again when I'm back on the water.

Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
I had a total replacement on my right hip on Wednesday (11/24/21). The goal is to get back to freestyle by May 2022.
Here's what I can report so far:
(background- male, 57, in good shape, former Div 1 athlete, severe degenerative osteoarthritis + torn cartilage in rt. hip. Got to the point it was waking me up from sleep and nearly impossible to put on rt. sock & shoe).
This surgery is not for sissies. It it invasive and violent: like being in a car wreck. I did this as outpatient: surgery at 11am home by 5 pm. They wanted me on a walker for the first week, then cane, then by myself after two weeks. I ditched the walker last Saturday (3 days) and can walk on my own already. I use the cane occaisionally. I do my PT everyday, 3x a day.
This surgery is very similar to orthroscopic knee miniscus surgery (I've had it on both knees 20 yrs ago) in terms of pain, stiffness, and recovery to mobility. Actually it may be slightly better. The good, is that all my hip pain from worn cartilage and siatica is GONE! There's other pain from having a spike driven into ones femur there, but it gets better everyday. I will post again when I'm back on the water.

Wow! You are a hero. Wishing you fast and best recovery!

Andrei.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrei. It gets a little bit better every day by like....3%-4%. The potential with this surgery is remarkable, but mostly I'm just really looking forward to when the 8 inch titanium spike down the center of my femur becomes part of my body and I don't feel every inch of it every time I move.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
I'm just really looking forward to when the 8 inch titanium spike down the center of my femur becomes part of my body and I don't feel every inch of it every time I move.

I’ll be curious to see if that ever fully happens. My experience is it doesn’t, but then my hardware was much closer to the surface than yours so I had my hardware removed after a couple of years.

Coachg
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observation from my own experience (and that from a friend of mine who just had the procedure in September) is the thigh pain is pretty normal during that first month. It eventually went away and I haven't felt a thing since.
TrentKCole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-im the original poster.

I was going to have my right hip replaced back in October, on the 4th, but the week before i broke a tooth, had it pulled and because of that and the risk for infection the surgery was postponed.

Today is 3 weeks post-op now, I was offered the Monday before thanksgiving and as i work for myself i figured i would only have to take 3 days out of work so I did it then. I had to scramble to get in the stuff i had to do before hand but im glad i did it because just after i had mine done elective cases have been cancelled at the hospital.

I have many older friends who've had it done, and my brother also had his right hip replaced in August. They all assured me it would be a breeze, id have no pain and would be dancing in a week.

Not my experience. The first couple of days it felt like it was done with an axe. Then it did ease up about id say 3% a day, and faster as time went on. It still hurts at 3 weeks, but i went back to work on the next Monday so only took 1 week off, and did not lighten my schedule.

At this pace I'd imagine it will take the 6 weeks people often quote as the amount of time it takes for the pain to go away.

I can barely put my socks on due to pain as i put my leg that way, i hope that eases, it seems like it usually does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: