myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 315, 316, 317 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Where's Wilson?

Sadly, he's in a nursing home Crying or Very sad

Wilson at the Stick.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Viewed:  15105 Time(s)

Wilson at the Stick.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Nooooooooo......!
bert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Stick ambiance Reply with quote

Winged at the Stick this Wednesday 8/11 and appreciated the couch that's been added to the rigging area. Sorta gives it a homey feel..

Stick ambiance.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  14763 Time(s)

Stick ambiance.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: 8/18 Larkspur! Reply with quote

Wow, it has been years since I went to Larkspur.

Yesterday I was on that side of the bay and I decided to stop by. I arrive at 2 pm with a nice wind and plenty of white caps. Rig 5.4 and have a nice 1.5 hours of sailing moderately powered until the wind dies off kind of suddenly to 6.5-7.5 conditions.

Lots of people! A contingent of old timers and a number of wings who sail in the channel. Access at the north gate of the jail is much easier than I remember.

Something to remember ... traffic is good from San Francisco and Larkspur can work well when Crissy and the whole Peninsula is ruined by the fog. Still feels a bit sad to sail there ... with death row inmates few yards away. Shocked
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: 2021-08-19 Bombora Reply with quote

Had an Epic SailSUP Day at Bombora today.

Tried yesterday. I was there. The waves were there. But the wind was not.

Today I went again to New Brighton State Beach. The Beach Parking is finally open! Hooray! No more hiking in from the neighborhood up the hill. It has been closed for over a year while it all was re-done after a sink-hole took out a good portion of the parking lot.

The wind was again light, but a knot or two over yesterday. Sometimes hitting 8 or 9 knots. I rigged and got it all to the beach. The wind died. I almost was going to pack it up and give up. I decided to wait. There was not much wind anywhere on the Santa Cruz coast. but two sources indicated it might show up in the above ten knot range in the inner Monterey Bay. Finally the wind came up to about six knots and I launched. This was after two Stand Up Paddle Boarders had launched and headed towards Bombora.

A pleasant surprise. The wind gradually got stronger as I sailed out and tacked up towards Bombora. Waves were catchable. I got a nice swell and rode it in to under the cliffs. Passed the SUPpers on the way out. I was ahead of them now. The wind for the main portion of the session probably ranged from six to thirteen knots with it usually around ten to twelve. This is good enough for Windsurfing with my Angulo 10' 2" and Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. I know the Cheetah is not a wave sail, but I make it do double duty.

Bombora was going off and better than the day before, Waves varied in height, but many were head high and quite a few well over head. The two Stand Up Paddlers were getting waves as well, but not the quantity that I was. Nice to have that sail power. I caught about two dozen waves and had a most excellent day!

The wind started dying so headed home. The nice thing about the wind dying was I could leave the session without feeling like I had left fun behind. It was time to go and there was no more goodie to be had.

GPS Track with Speed Graph (and track blow up) attached below:

2021-08-19 WS Bombora GPS Track & Speed.png
 Description:
Speed graph shows wave rides are up to three times the speed of the tacks back out.
 Filesize:  739.08 KB
 Viewed:  14309 Time(s)

2021-08-19 WS Bombora GPS Track & Speed.png

2021-08-19 WS Bombora GPS Track.png
 Description:
GPS Track. Distance Scale in lower Right corner.
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  14309 Time(s)

2021-08-19 WS Bombora GPS Track.png

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: 2021-08-25 Pleasure Point Reply with quote

Had a decent day Windsurfing Pleasure Point yesterday. SailSUP can make some of these light wind days enjoyable. This was my 101st session this year. A couple of pics:

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 01.png
 Description:
Going Left
 Filesize:  762.63 KB
 Viewed:  13799 Time(s)

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 01.png

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 02.png
 Description:
Going Right
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  13799 Time(s)

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 02.png

ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: windward where did you launch from? Reply with quote

windward where did you launch from?
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That session I launched right below the tree you see at the far right in the picture. I came in that session on the other side of Jack' house.

Be aware, if there is surf of almost any size and the tide is high getting out of the water can be treacherous. The news had warnings of it last week as did Santa Cruz Waves.

I, myself, one session got into Cove Beach safe and sound, but then had the problem of how do I get my gear up and out of here. I ended up after many attempts to get to the stairs that are nearest Cove Beach to paddling the board down to the stairs at O'Neill's. But even so your timing had to be perfect. I did get the rig up the Cove Beach stairs, but probably lucked out with a longer than normal lull. There are granite anti-erosion rocks there that are sharp and the receding waves create water falls and deep holes just looking to break a leg. I did get up by dark, but as I said, it was a challenge.

Another time, probably over a month ago, I got thrown into the rocks at the bottom of the stairway along with my sail. The sail & rig ended up on top of me and held me down while the next waves in the set piled sand on top the sail. Had to ask myself, "Am I going to get out of this?" Sail ended up with some abrasions and the boom extension broke about a week later. Luckily, I ended up with only a bruise or two.

So look at the tides and the surf height and plan accordingly. And by the way it does not help when kelp strands are in the wave wash trying to impede your plans for getting out of there.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Jacks has some beach if the tide is low enough. Reply with quote

Jacks has some beach if the tide is low enough.
West side of Jacks house stairs.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a picture just post launch. The path to under the tree starts to the left of the bench and goes down the cliff in front of the bench. Large rock there partially man-made. To make the launch work, I had to wait for a long lull between sets, take the board down the steps, putting the fin in the wet sand, dragging the rig from the rock six feet up and attaching to board. Lifting rig and board tail, dragging into water, turning it seaward, hopping on and going before the next set. As the pic shows, this was successful.

The tide was high but going to ebb so I windsurfed for over two hours and by that time more sand was showing at more places. I looked at landing where I launched, but it still looked a bit sketchy so I opted for the stairway side of O'Neill's that you mention as my landing point. No dry sand there, but per foot prints it looked like a few feet would be above the surf allowing me to de-couple the rig from board and take them up the stairs.

The sand available depends on to whether waves have pushed sand in or washed it out. Usually much more sand is in in the summer than the winter. The stairway near Cove Beach is not too bad if lots of sand has accumulated at its base. But it is treacherous if the sand is all washed out.

Pleasure Point can be really great, but it depends on so many things to align to make it work, Some of these are:

1: Surfers. While I have windsurfed here for over 40 years it is a surfers place and I can count on one hand the number of windsurfers that I have seen windsurf here. Only one other in the last two years. In the pics you can see I give the surfers plenty of space and to not even go for the best part of the wave break. On weekends and holidays the place is packed with surfers. Does not leave much room to windsurf. Do not go.
2: Tide height. Below 2 feet your fin can scrape bottom anywhere from O'Neill's to the Point. Above 3 feet there is likely to be no beaches and the waves reflect off the cliffs making less than desirable surfing conditions. If a lot of sand is in along the cliffs, one might be good up to 3-1/2 feet.
3: Wind. Southwest wind is best as it is side-shore. SSW also works and is slightly on-shore. If it gets more North than Southwest it starts flowing over the Point and is roiled by trees, houses and cliffs making it difficult to ride a wave too far inside. Some swell riding may still take place out by the kelp. East or Southeast can work for sailing, but it seems to knock down the surf.
4: Parking. Can be difficult to find. Especially on weekends and holidays.
5: Fog. This is Monterey Bay. Being able to see where you are going is not a given.

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 00.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  934.08 KB
 Viewed:  13121 Time(s)

2021-08-25 WS PP at Jack's 00.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 315, 316, 317 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 316 of 329

Jump to: