myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast sections separating at ferrule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days with tensioned battens, it's pretty hard to thread a two-piece mast without wrinkling the sail a bit. It's a problem that I don't worry and get over anxious about.

When rigging, I insert the top section of the mast into the sail, and then add the bottom section right at the base of the sail. At that point you know that the two pieces are together and matched. As a rule, after pushing the mast up the luff it usually will not go all the way to the top because of the luff curve. I then go up to the top of the sail and slide the mast up to the top so that it is properly seated. Walking back to mast connection point, you want to feel to ensure that things are still together, or you can grab the top and bottom sections and bring them together, if needed. Lastly, you can then go down and insert your mast base and thread the downhall line confident that the mast is properly seated.

I don't understand why some folks want to make things so difficult. Obsessing over wrinkling and damaging the sail can lead to some bad rigging habits, like over stressing the mast sleeve trying to push things in the wrong way. Moreover, the idea of needing the help from others to rig or de-rig your sail points to the fact that something wrong in your rigging process.

The one thing that I'm very cautious about during rigging is to avoid getting any dirt or sand into the mast before mastbase insertion. A good way of doing that is to place your sail bag below the base of the mast to protect against any dirt or sand intrusion, particularly when you move to the top of the sail to seat the mast properly.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pull the mast out of the luff sleeve like pulling a sword out of its sheath. With a bit of twist and weight to slightly load the joint, it usually pulls out pretty well. When freshly coated with McLube Sailkote, a mast pulls out cleanly more often than not.

Yes ... crinkling bad.

NOVAAN wrote:
when removing my mast, I place a rag on or near the head cap.
I have someone stand on the rag while I remove the mast from the bottom. Again, saving wear and tear de-rigging. Every little thing pro longs the life for the sail.....
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mast sections separating at ferrule Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
remove the boom
Kindof obvious; in order to reduce hassle, I always check the mast halves are properly connected before sticking the boom on.
I found that the mast halves tend to slide apart when I had to reset/pull the mast back inside the sleeve for some reason. I.e. when the mast didn't slide into the sleeve in one forward progression. In such cases, I check if the halves may have separated before downhauling.
Equipment wise; I got one mast (Naish) that has a nice feature; the lower half plug has a rubber seal that extends to touch the inside of the upper half. There is just enough friction to keep the mast halves in place during rigging. I have that piece for about five years now, no material decay of the seal that I noticed.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I have someone stand on the rag while I remove the mast from the bottom.

Check the top of your sail. Some sails have a tiny loop up there that you can stick a screwdriver through into the ground to hold the head down & secure. If you have an adjustable top that also works as a screwdriver anchor point.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea coachg. De-rigging a sail and allowing it to crunch together or flap around in the wind will cause creases in the sail. This will lead to weak spots and the sail will fail in those areas. Anything you can do while rigging or de rigging to prevent this from happening will increase the life of the sail. Sails are pushing a thousand bucks these days if you can get them. Having help de-rigging in a windy area keeps the sail from flying away in to the nearest picnic table. Removing the mast with help takes all of ten seconds. Most of us here have adopted this method because it takes less time and is easier. And you get to the beer and B.S. session sooner...
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Sails are pushing a thousand bucks these days
There's a bit of good news if the following is generally the case across brands: I added a new 5.0 Naish Force 5 to my quiver in the spring. I was pleasantly surprised to find the monofilm - no X-ply - considerably more wrinkle-resistant than what I got accustomed to in older sails.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN, I have to ask, how old is the oldest sail in your current quiver? Have you ever used a sail for 10 to 15 years or more.

From what I understand, you turn over most of your equipment in a year or two. I don't do that, so I have quite a bit of experience getting the most out of my equipment and knowing just how well things hold up over the long term.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell my sails every year and get new ones. Just cause I can. No other reason. Except this year after selling all my 2020 sails I had a difficult time getting new ones. Had to wait to almost mid season to get them. Lots of Covid issues. Materials and shipping being the big ones. I get to sail over a 100 days a year between the local lake and spots around my area. My sails look very much new when I do sell. keeping them out of the sun when not on the water is big. Ezzys web site has great rigging and de rigging video's. He states that sun and creasing the sail while rigging and de rigging are the major cause of reduced sail life..
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using 1996 North Vertigo and Zetas this year, as good as any sail ever made.
Gonna break out my 1995 Infinities if the wind ever drops below 20 at Berkeley.
justall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mast sections separating at ferrule Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
I've been windsurfing for 35+ years, so this is embarrassing to even ask., I

So, this won’t address your question as other responses have already, but it may make you feel less embarrassed. Recently, I got so distracted while rigging, that I not only let the top/bottom of mast connection slip open, but I also put the bottom section of the mast on upside down! Downhauling punished my error by cracking my nearly-new mast with a large snapping sound. So what was the distraction? Well, my new rule ... No more rigging while talking to an attractive woman. Ha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: