myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast sections separating at ferrule
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Mast sections separating at ferrule Reply with quote

I've been windsurfing for 35+ years, so this is embarrassing to even ask. OTOH, I'm 72 so maybe I forgot. Occasionally, as I downhaul(4.2 to 6.5) I notice that the clew isn't as close to the cleat as it should be. So I go to the now-marked spot on the mast sleeve where the SDM mast sections meet and try to feel whether they're actually touching or SOMEHOW have become separated a bit. If separated, I usually have to completely unthread the downhaul, remove the boom, push the sail up to take the bend tension out of the mast, and maybe even remove the mast to insure that the sections are fully "mated".

I've heard that some people actually tape the sections together with removable tape. Grrrrrr. Seems like there must be an easier way. Yesterday evening I had very limited time to sail in mellow flat water and just sailed with them about 1/2 inch separated. Somehow while inserting the mast, I expect that they sometimes get separated.
Got any tips for an old guy on how to avoid this??
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it every time before you down haul. The tape thing also works..
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What NOVAAN said, plus when putting the sail on the mast, I butt the the bast base against some solid object so I can maintain pressure on the joint until I'm downhauled. Even then, I still grope the mast sleeve to ensure the gap is imperceptible. The consequences of anything less can range from an expensive PITA to an outright disaster. Just downhauling, let alone sailing, with any gap is not just asking, but begging for a broken mast. We've all seen a freshly tuned sail, still lying on the ground, start quivering, followed by a loud, splintering SNAP as the sail goes limp. (Hey ... better on land than offshore.)

Even though we rig on a lawn and sail in fresh water with no shorebreak, many of my buds consider electrical tape a fundamental part and process of rigging.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical tape keeps pieces together for rigging AND derigging (is that a word?)

no extra Grrr's in there anywhere Smile

oh yeah - keeps the sand OUT !!
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mast sections separating at ferrule Reply with quote

Epoxy them together! Just a little bit and they will never separate again. Shocked Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil Shocked
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get a one piece epoxy mast Cool
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taping can be very convenient, especially if you use good tape. I use tape for covering figure skate boots to tint them, its similar to electrician's tape. You can REUSE it about 6-10 times, just take it off and stick it on the mast right next to the joint, its right there ready to re-use. Keeps the sand out.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it might be a nice touch for a sail-maker to incorporate a tiny window in the luff sleeve at the location where their brand of mast would come together. I realize there are sizing challenges, but it would be nice to have a visual verification on the mast staying together. Or maybe a mast that has something built in that is easier to feel through the luff sleeve. Just what I (at least) call a thought. Cheers.
Scharlack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theq wrote:
I was thinking it might be a nice touch for a sail-maker to incorporate a tiny window in the luff sleeve at the location where their brand of mast would come together. I realize there are sizing challenges, but it would be nice to have a visual verification on the mast staying together. Or maybe a mast that has something built in that is easier to feel through the luff sleeve. Just what I (at least) call a thought. Cheers.

or maybe a patch of thinner fabric spanning the likely connection point. My Ezzy mast sleeves are so thick/sturdy that it's hard to tell if there's a separation. Not likely...expense... and a point of sleeve failure
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I butt the the bast base against some solid object so I can maintain pressure on the joint until I'm downhauled.

I use the same trick to sheet my sails. I can get the mast almost to the cap with out krinkling or creasing my sail. That said, Ezzy sails have less luff curve. Also when removing my mast, I place a rag on or near the head cap.
I have someone stand on the rag while I remove the mast from the bottom. Again, saving wear and tear de-rigging. Every little thing pro longs the life for the sail.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: