myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more on the 85% mentioned above. This from the Port of Oakland........

"The Maritime Air Quality Improvement Plan builds upon the Port Maritime Air Quality Policy Statement (Port Air Quality Statement), adopted by the Board of Port Commissioners in March 2008. The Port Air Quality Statement sets a goal of reducing the excess community cancer health risk related to exposure to diesel particulate matter (DPM) emissions associated with the Port’s maritime operations by 85% from 2005 to 2020"

https://www.portofoakland.com/files/PDF/environment/maqip_executive_summary.pdf

In summary, in 2008, the Port of Oakland finally put in place a plan to radically improve its appalling air quality record, and reduce emissions by 85% from 2005 levels, by 2020.

Berkeley retired from PofA in 2005 after 16 years. The Port's choice of 2005 as the starting point for their improvement efforts is probably a pure coincidence.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tiresome, so interested in spin, not truth. I was hired by the Port of Oakland as a change agent. Mrbuggywhip has been hired as an apologist and a change resister. I negotiated a settlement with West Oakland Neighbors, and convinced the Port to fund it, in 1998. That settlement provided for a total package of $55 million in community mitigation, and an air quality mitigation program that paid for clean-up of equipment not owned by the port—yard equipment, trucks, tugboats. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Port-of-Oakland-neighbors-settle-3106553.php

If you’re actually interested in facts, the settlement agreement was approved by the Board of Port Commissioners and filed with the court. The neighbors that we settled with supported the port expansion project because of the funds we set aside for air quality mitigation. This was the first time any port in this country, and probably anywhere, agreed to fund cleaner equipment owned by those doing businss at the port, and my colleagues at other ports were horrified. The result was that emissions started to go down, not up, and the precedent set led to major air quality programs at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

Certainly that didn’t do all that needed to be done. Moreover, it was very hard to figure out how to subsidize some of this, particularly transport trucks, which are owned by individuals and could go elsewhere with cleaner, newer engines. However, the Port continued to work with the air district and EPA, who provided regulatory requirements that made truck drivers come to the table, and grants that amplified the ports efforts.

So it is possible to start cleaning up emissions—or apologize for those who resist—and attack those who start. I have no regrets about the choice I made.

The final irony in buggy whips attack is that California was locked in litigation with EXXON—one of the businesses worshipped by buggy whip—for many years because they refused to comply with air quality regulations. Like I said, you can be a change agent—or an apologist.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary timeline.....

- 1989 Berkeley hired as "change agent"

- 1998 Port of Oakland settles lawsuit by local community tired of being sickened. Agrees to clean up its act

- 2005 "change agent" takes handsome, index linked government pension. Job done.

- 2008 Port of Oakland pressured into an actual plan to reduce pollution by 85% over 2005 levels

- 2017 Civil rights complaint against Port alleges decades of misconduct by the Port against predominantly minority local community

- 2019 Port enters into yet another agreement with the community, promising, once again, to try harder not to ruin their lives

- 2005 to date "change agent" crafts thousands of posts on silly website relentlessly pointing finger of blame at companies that pollute the air and sicken poor people/ minorities. Is outraged by any push back. Lies he says.

A triumph of sanctimony over self awareness.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Something you have showed time & time again to be an expert at. Very interesting. Rolling Eyes

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Summary timeline.....

- 1998 Port of Oakland settles lawsuit by local community tired of being sickened. Agrees to clean up its act

- 2005 "change agent" takes handsome, index linked government pension. Job done.

- 2008 Port of Oakland pressured into an actual plan to reduce pollution by 85% over 2005 levels

- 2017 Civil rights complaint against Port alleges decades of misconduct by the Port against predominantly minority local community

- 2019 Port enters into yet another agreement with the community, promising, once again, to try harder not to ruin their lives

- 2005 to date "change agent" crafts thousands of posts on silly website relentlessly pointing finger of blame at companies that pollute the air and sicken poor people/ minorities. Is outraged by any push back. Lies he says.

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. What could have stirred this man from his collection of buggy whips and antique cars? Isn't he waiting for the world to recognize his bygone technologies? Could it be that Chevron, a company he has supported for more than a decade, is again in the news?

Let's reveal a little bit of the history of Chevron in Richmond, and their disdain for the community just downwind.

--Gregg LaBar
MAR 25, 1999
An explosion at the Chevron refinery in Richmond, Calif., on Thursday at 2:30 p.m. resulted in a fire that spewed black smoke over the surrounding area.
An estimated 600 nearby residents were taken to area hospitals with symptoms of nausea and a metallic taste in their mouths or a burning sensation in their throats.

--August 6, 2012: A series of explosions and fires tore through Chevron's Richmond refinery. While a black cloud that wafted over the Bay Area during the fire at the Chevron oil, more than 1,700 people ended up in emergency rooms.

--The U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) released its first report on the Chevron incident in April 2013 (“the Interim Report”), which highlighted technical findings and safety system deficiencies.

That is, Chevron had ignored corrosion in the pipe that failed and their own maintenance protocols. To be sure, Chevron is not the only refinery with poor maintenance habits and distain for their neighbors:

--https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/A-look-back-at-six-of-the-worst-refinery-14537296.php

https://cchealth.org/hazmat/pdf/2012_0806_chevron_csb_investigation_report.pdf

So I make a post that shows, 32 years after the explosion at the Shell refinery in Martinez, Bay area oil companies will have to comply with particulate standards that are in place in some other states. Standards that apply to the refineries own operations, not independent trucks that come to the refinery with equipment. About the same time that Chevron is spotlighted for leaving behind an unholy mess in Nigeria.

Some will remember buggy whip's blaming of the lack of new refineries in California on unreasonable regulators and environmental groups. His defense, from 3,000 miles away, of the Richmond Refinery in particular. Or his full throated condemnation of measures like oxygenates, intended to improve air quality. So with the rotten practices of the oil industry again in the news, it is time to divert, and he thinks I am a convenient target.

What really makes him so irate? The fact that I left in place staff that I hired who were able to secure grant funds and port funding to do more than the port of Oakland was legally required to do? I'm very proud of those folks; I'm happy that they were able to do more than I was. His invention is that somehow I was holding them back and it all happened after I left. How pathetic an invention that is. Or is that I got a pension? Buggywhip has bragged about his importance and wealth gathered in finding and developing the fuel that is used at the Port of Oakland. The fuel that when partially burned, exposes the public to cancer risks. The industry that has lied and cheated to avoid regulation wherever they can. The cancer risks I was successful in reducing.

Caught in the act of making a living peddling poison, buggy whip lashes out. No surprise.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Summary timeline.....

This what buggy whip’s product does:

Quote:
Diesel trucks, gasoline cars, coal-fired power plants and other sources of fossil fuel air pollution cause an estimated 8.7 million deaths worldwide in 2018, a new study finds.
For comparison, that annual toll is roughly equal to deaths attributed to smoking.
The findings, published in the journal Environmental Research, shed new light on the human cost of fossil fuel use. Study authors note the topline finding of 8.7 million deaths is double that of previous estimates.

Of course, in his mind, some of that is my fault because I didn’t do enough, fast enough, to stop it.

A very sick man.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
At least a couple you mentioned the issue: Mac said:
Quote:
On the substantive point, it costs $81,000 each to keep a prisoner in jail in California. They come out meaner than they went in. Lock ‘em up is expensive—although we can afford it applied to the Trump family.

swchandler said:
Quote:
Sadly, I think that he's part of the radical right wing law and order crowd looking to grow our prison systems into the stratosphere and beyond.

So, since it's expensive to lock up criminals, the only options is to ignore the lesser crimes and let folks steal what they want as long as it's value is under $950. And how is that working for Calif? A truly nutty program!

Jump to conclusions Techno, who follows the Tucker Carlson-ish hit pieces slavishly, shows us why it makes sense to slow down a bit and wait for the facts to catch up. The viral video of the shoplifter on a bike got all the righties panties in a twist. Nobody waited to discover the video allowed his identification—and he’s now in jail. So sorry to disappoint you.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, one guy arrested and problem solved. Do you think the new task force will get the thefts under control? I am thinking no.

Quote:
California Governor Gavin Newsom wants the citizens of his state to know that he is serious about fighting crime.

The fact that he’s involved in a recall election might have something to do with it. That and nightly news reports that are almost comical in nature. They show thieves in retail stores calmly and deliberately stuffing hundreds of dollars of items into bags and sauntering out of the story in full view of store employees and security guards.

The shoplifting problem has exploded in recent months as organized gangs of criminals have targeted pharmacies and grocery stores. In 2014, Californians approved Proposition 47 decriminalizing theft of property as long as the theft was under $950.

On Wednesday, Newsom signed a bill to create crime task forces around the California Highway Patrol and local agencies to address organized theft rings.

The bill — AB 331 — also re-established organized retail theft as a crime, a designation which had lapsed on July 1. It also applies to those who work with thieves to steal or receive stolen merchandise and those who recruit or organize theft rings.

“We’ve been organized in a very deliberative manner to address the issue of organized retail crime for a number of years,” said Newsom. “We are doubling down on those efforts today with this bill that I’ll be signing here in a moment.”

The task force teams will focus on three regions – the San Francisco Bay Area, San Diego and Orange County.

“We can’t do this alone. We need you, the public, our communities, we need our public partners to assist us in this effort,” CHP Commissioner Amanda Ray said.

Because many of these criminals have gotten violent when confronted by store owners and employees, most owners have made the decision not to approach or confront shoplifters. And since it’s only a misdemeanor crime, police don’t even bother pursuing the cases. So the thieves take their time, load up their bags, and walk out the door.

“The overall problem is a challenge — the brazenness of some of these crimes,” San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said Wednesday. “When they see these things go viral, the perception of lawlessness, the perception that anything goes — that has to be overcome, too.”

Where did shoplifters ever get the idea that they wouldn’t be punished for stealing? As long as they don’t take merchandise worth more than $950, they’re in the clear. And the prospects of breaking the shoplifting gangs are bleak. All you need are three or four guys with plastic bags. Selling the merchandise is easy enough. You arrest one gang leader and another takes his place.

Meanwhile, the thefts continue unchecked. This has resulted in several retail outlets, including Walgreens and Target, closing stores due to losses from theft.

And then the activists whine about “food deserts” and big companies refusing to build stores in black areas.

It appears that Democratic mayors are achieving their goal of making their cities unlivable.

https://clarion.causeaction.com/2021/07/22/california-decriminalized-shoplifting-the-results-were-completely-predictable/
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bathe his brain in paranoia Techno has once again ignored the fact that property crime is down, not up.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Bathe his brain in paranoia Techno has once again ignored the fact that property crime is down, not up.

Of course, when stores don't report the thefts because the the police won't do anything, the stats likely get swayed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 153 of 205

Jump to: