myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave Sails vs Freeride Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry I was away for the weekend and let this run away. Some more information, I currently ride a bic Techno 293 with a volume of 203L, this is a board I plan on replacing before next spring with something in the 130L range, I weigh 210#, and while I do some riding on lake Erie I predominantly ride in Columbus on Alum creek which gets puffy conditions.

So far it seems like even if I do want to try bump and jump where I am at I still should try for a freeride sail (another retro would be nice) they have more attributes that complement the style and conditions of my sailing.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are pleased with the Retro, then stay with it, if you venture into waves, or swell like conditions and later require a smaller wave sail the REVOlution will feel like old home week. Sailworks offer a great package and you can call for support.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed Huckers since they came out. I have yet to find a more tunable and full range sail, period! I have two full quivers in different locations.

These sails deliver unmatched performance to their riders. I'm 45, a lifelong sailor and weigh in at around 188. I'm planing on Huckers when others can barely get a waterstart.

I consulted Bruce at the Windfest to check on my sail tuning after seeing numerous Huckers over downhauled. He suggested that my downhaul was just right with the leach breaking only to the second batten, but did recommend slightly more batten tension in my lower two battens, which he quickly adjusted himself. Now THAT's customer service.

I have found these sails to be incredibly responsive and I don't feel the "pitchy" behavior pointed out by the apparent site monitor. What I find is amazing range, depowering ability in laydowns or on the wave, and quality unmatched for both state of the art materials and workmanship. Further, I get to see and sail with Bruce and the Sailworks testers EVERY windy day at the Gorge.

By comparison, I met Dave Ezzy at Doug's beach for 3 days of Ezzy sail testing, during which time Mr. Ezzy did not even slip on a wetsuit to sail with us. We had incredible 4.2 conditions every day and I think he only had one 4.2 on the beach for testing. Seemed lame to me and I wanted to see the man on the water. He just stood on the beach talking blah! WTH? I have nothing against Ezzy and his sails look nice, but come on, hanging on the shore like a beach wife when its 4.2? Illogical!

Bottom line, if you need power and long-lasting performance, Sailworks will take you to the next level!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gk109

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed the bic techno 293 while learning then got a 138 hily madd for my next board, sounds like you are on pretty much the same track I was 2 years ago. I had trouble with wave sails at first, they are twitchy comapred to freeride sails and in any size below a 5.5 I wouldnt want anything to do with them unless I was actaully sailing in the waves.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high CE can be a bit of a handful for those just getting into higher performance sailing. Give the OP a couple of more seasons b4 leaning on him for your schtick..... Sound fair? Seen some folks get the full on Dale Cook pkg a bit too early in their experience and not do well....
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t know much about wave sails and the difference with regular freeride sails. Somebody gave me one ( a HSM 5.2 wave sail) . Winds were gusting probably up to 20 knts and I thought it would be OK. Instead, I found myself overpowered all the time, also because of the chop on the lake..The thick monofilament fabric and the tubular battens makes it even heavier and more difficult to manage than regular larger sails. I might still use it, though for flat water and light winds.
Also, looking closer at it, even if I try to outhaul it for less power, it still keeps a considerable bottom shape, which makes it more powerful and more difficult to manage in the same conditions than larger sails I have, like my oldish NP 6.2 or even my HSM 8.0 . Kind of odd.
I don’t know if this is the way that wave sails are made and designed for.

Ittiandro
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of incorrect information here or your sail is messed up. Wave sails never come with tube battens (as in hollow tubes), some might have "rod" battens with certain segments that are solid circular cross-section, commonly towards the leech, and they don't meaningfully affect the weight of the sail. I can't imagine a HSM wave sail being heavy, certainly not a noticeable difference from a larger sail (sailed HSM for 20+ years). Monofilm is not heavy, certainly not heavier than waterlogged dacron. Combined with your other post, I think you have rigging issues and possibly a mast compatiblity issue. Show a pic of it rigged (shorten the vario top to the minimum, or remove it if its possible to attach the mast cap to sail without it.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old sail on the wrong mast rigged badly being handled by a beginner will do that regardless of it's design.
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yets wrote:
in the 130L range, I weigh 210#
Tastes differ; personally I don't tinker with sail tunes much safe for slacking off outhaul for a touch more power (at the expense of added drag). When you get into the bookends wave <-> slalom-race, things get pretty one-trick-pony-ish or simply unsuitable, e.g. a large-ish four batten wave sail for your spec strikes as that. Conversly, you'd wish something else to deal with than a cammed, low cut slalom sail waterstarting in chop/overpowered conditions.
I've come to appreciate Exocet/Aerotech's offerings for the kind of situation you describe; I'd get an Exocet Cross and either use an Air X when it gets windier, or a Phantom in the next size up when it's doesn't. These are middle-of-the-road designs that I don't have to think about on the water at the expense of (hopefully) simply having a great day sailing. I am sure each brand has its own line pf products for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: