myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge etiquette review: SHARE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'mean like this stuck mast exercise?

The funny part is that each individual had his own concept of "clockwise" in relation to the stuck joint. We were fighting each other until one guy said "twist the mast top towards the parking lot, the mast bottom towards the river".

Stuck Mast.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.23 KB
 Viewed:  9572 Time(s)

Stuck Mast.jpg

surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Obi Wan.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff Malibu 2024!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the parking lot at a Dead show...
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a ridiculously windy week in the Gorge and never really experienced much in the way of crowds (especially given the winds nor my experience in the past). It was blowing solid low 30's at Dougs on Friday and there were maybe 10-15 cars in the lot.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsmithna wrote:
This is either my secret weapon OR confirmation of my weird-ness...your choice: I clip a caribeaner to my harness strap and clip my flops in there after I get into the water. That way my flops are always with me no matter where I wash up. (Hope I'm not starting to sound too much like Isobars here...sorry.)

I think this is brilliant. I would clip them off to the side or even behind the harness, completely out of the way of the harness hook. The swing weight of carabiner and flops would be insignificant. However, your feet would still be subject to laceration by fin and maybe even an ultra-gritty brand new deck. This happens during uncontrolled crashes and mounting the board during waterstart. P.S. Sand your fin to remove all burrs (which act like a serrated knife), and dull/round the edges just a little. You won't miss the insignificant loss of speed. And you reduce the risk of laceration significantly. (I used to be a fin tech for installation on new boards sold.)

O'Neill "Super Freak" slippers...just sayin'...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on booties, I'll share this again.

Since I very seldom sail in water cold enough (45 degrees) to need booties for warmth, I very strongly prefer a whole ‘nuther approach on the rare occasion that I don’t prefer barefoot. I find wrestling shoes very light, completely unobtrusive, highly flexible, extremely durable, relatively inexpensive off-season, much sleeker for easier entry into and exit from footstraps, much more secure on my feet, machine washable, way more protective than neoprene booties, toe-jam free, easier to don and doff than than (especially wet) neoprene booties, far easier to walk in, and available in a zillion styles and colors so they don't get lost in your huge tangle of black neoprene. I buy ‘em small because I WANT a snug fit, and lace ‘em tight to prevent toe jam and shifting. You can even select the amount of traction you want, and they include a lace-securing system to prevent untying and tripping.

Check this out and knock yourselves out:

https://www.wrestlingmart.com/wrestling-shoes
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re Parking... Reply with quote

Thanks Biff - for the reminder - was just discussing this the other day and the frustration with those that do not understand water etiquette.
My biggest complaint has to do with parking and the etiquette used to be very simple:
Show up
Rig up
Sail
De-rig and;
LEAVE!!!!
If one is not doing it this way - then you know who the problem is... YOU!

Sadly the Gorge has become a battle to see who can get to the prime parking first and sit on it the longest - if this is you - you now know that YOU are the problem and many of the rest of us look at you with disdain...
My guess, I just offended 90% of you out there...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite of mine ... NOT ... is the selfish people too freaking lazy to carry their gear the hell away from the launch when coming ashore. Many of them don't merely drop it in everybody's way, but also make sure it's stretched clear across the only path to and from the water.

Then there are the %!&($!@$%^! who RIG in that same spot despite being asked many times to be more thoughtful.

bericw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am aware that I am a stupid a-hole (and as such, not as aware as I should be, as evidenced by this response I am posting), so who am I to question anything except of myself, but I am confused by the inclusion of an entry regarding getting out of the way for parking in a list of instructions for "sharing":

"If parking is scarce, don't "pose" all day; consider leaving or at least re-parking."

May you please explain how to know if anyone's use of an open resource is more important than anyone else's? I.e., if someone wants to occupy a parking space to spend time mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, is it sharing for them to forego that exercise so that I may park there to conduct my important business? What about since I truely am a loser? I mean poser, dang auto-correct. I should never park anywhere, or maybe at least nowhere close to anywhere?

Is of no matter. Dust spilling through my fingers into the wind.

Thank you. Have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: