myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Saying goodbye to my gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Saying goodbye to my gear. Reply with quote

I have talked to Pure Stoke regarding my consigned gear and was told that it has all sold except for my 2 favorite sails which I'm going to keep. Hope that everyone is having a fantastic sailing season and enjoying every minute of it!

Last edited by sailon on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Saying goodbye to my gear. Reply with quote

sailon wrote:
I left it at Pure Stoke in Hood River. They Don't post any info on consigned gear so this is a heads-up ...

Any idea whether their consignment program is substantial, or does it consist mostly of your stuff? I ask you because I asked them recently if they are still associated with windsurfing gear and got no reply.

Windance looks swamped, and although today's swap meet was very large, I didn't see a lot of gear moving out the door.

Thanks.
sailon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Saying goodbye to my gear. Reply with quote

I don't know how much consigned windsurfing gear PS has, but they don't accept any until the beginning of the windsurfing season and told someone when I was there a week into May that I was getting mine in early. All summer gear has to be removed by Sep 30.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Donate to CGW2 Reply with quote

You could donate to The CGW2.org and feel good that proceeds from the sale of your donated gear go to kid's wind sports programs and Gorge launch-site improvements.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can identify with your forced decision to hang it up. May I ask whether any of your injuries are related to WSing, and if so, whether the rest of us might benefit from knowing more about them?

In my case, my contribution to the male population would be, "What's your PSA?" If I had known mine and what it meant during the years my idiot doctor kept saying, "You're fine", oncologists say it would have extended my sailing and my life by at least a decade.
sailon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: The injuries and lessons learned Reply with quote

The multiple shoulder injuries from skiing, windsurfing and during a knee-implant surgery (2018) were what influenced my decision the most. That latter one was the worst, and I still haven't gotten the shoulder implant I now need.

I rode my bike all through covid, and in Oct 2020, woke up in the hospital once, just as I was getting my last x-ray (a cat scan) after a hit and run of which I have no memory. First it didn't hurt at all. Then, later, it started hurting a lot. But now it's feeling better. I saw the surgeon today, and it's ok.

I am so sorry to learn of your prognosis, Isobars! I can relate because I was misinformed regarding what a lump of cancer in the breast felt like, and didn't realize it was cancer until stage 2 - not that I shouldn't have been smart enough to get the mammogram sooner. That is when I went into research mode and found that I couldn't trust the oncologists and always insisted on making my own choices. I windsurfed through radiation. wearing a rashguard to hide the burn. The wind and the water are so soothing and exhilarating! And I love the way it's a whole other existence. I skipped the chemo, and a GENOME test proved me right. My cancer was the result of hormone replacement therapy. I can't help but feel positive about your case, Isobars. Somehow, some way, someone - YOU - can beat the odds. It can happen! But my advice to everyone is, "Do the research. and stick to your guns."
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of your more numerous injuries demanding surgery, our paths share a lot. There were exceptions, but my countless, usually much lesser, prangs (mostly from desert racing dirt bikes) were primarily painful, seldom lasting more than days to months, and only once requiring surgery. It sounds like you and I have had more thrill sports time than any dozen "civilians", and that we're good examples of the mantra, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." You have my empathy, but you neither have nor want my sympathy.

My strongest takeaway from your story is not blindly trusting people just because they wear a white coat and a stethoscope. Like yours, my own extensive medical research in and dogged adherence to gold standard sources have preserved my windsurfing, my mobility, my outlook, and literally my life well beyond any of my many oncologists' expectations. It took me many years and trials to find an oncologist and a surgeon I trust with my life and my mobility.

Let me add this. I found a gifted, miracle worker kinesiologist who has used his professional training, decades of experience with his own and his patients' dramatic injuries and musculoskeletal maladies, and his physical power and insights (he twice held the U.S. bench press record in his time as a competitive body builder and he's still a frigging moose) to help countless patients and himself avoid unnecessary surgeries. I personally know orthopedic and neuro surgeons who were fired from their clinics because they referred too many patients to him, and many pro and amateur athletes, physicians, and fellow prison corrections officers owe their function and careers to him.

PM me if that interests you. He's a long drive from Willow Grove (I've sailed Jones Beach MANY times), but he and you might learn a great deal about your outlook and options in just one prolonged assessment.
sailon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: One more thing Reply with quote

Maybe I'll be back on the water When my shoulder gets better. I hope so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: