myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4 day work week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: 4 day work week Reply with quote

I must agree, but think it should be 5 days in the winter and 4 in the summer. Lets talk about quality of life.

I once set up a testing centers in many countries around the world for a product I designed for a company here in the USA. I was so impressed with Germany who did similar to this over 20 years ago. In the summer, the employees left work at noon on fridays.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/four-day-week-an-overwhelming-success-in-iceland/ar-AALNMTx

Four day week 'an overwhelming success' in Iceland

Quote:
the trials of a four-day week in Iceland were an "overwhelming success" and led to many workers moving to shorter hours, researchers have said.The trials, in which workers were paid the same amount for shorter hours, took place between 2015 and 2019.

Productivity remained the same or improved in the majority of workplaces, researchers said.

A number of other trials are now being run across the world, including in Spain and by Unilever in New Zealand.

In Iceland, the trials run by Reykjavík City Council and the national government eventually included more than 2,500 workers, which amounts to about 1% of Iceland's working population.

Many of them moved from a 40 hour week to a 35 or 36 hour week, researchers from UK think tank Autonomy and the Association for Sustainable Democracy (Alda) in Iceland said.

Asda to allow permanent hybrid working for offices
Covid: Most rules set to end in England, says PM
The trials led unions to renegotiate working patterns, and now 86% of Iceland's workforce have either moved to shorter hours for the same pay, or will gain the right to, the researchers said.

Workers reported feeling less stressed and at risk of burnout, and said their health and work-life balance had improved.

Will Stronge, director of research at Autonomy, said: "This study shows that the world's largest ever trial of a shorter working week in the public sector was by all measures an overwhelming success.

"It shows that the public sector is ripe for being a pioneer of shorter working weeks - and lessons can be learned for other governments."

Gudmundur D. Haraldsson, a researcher at Alda, said: "The Icelandic shorter working week journey tells us that not only is it possible to work less in modern times, but that progressive change is possible too."

Spain is piloting a four day working week for companies in part due to the challenges of coronavirus.

And Unilever in New Zealand is also giving staff a chance to cut their hours by 20% without hurting their pay in a trial.

In May, a report commissioned by the 4 Day Week campaign from Platfo

Last edited by real-human on Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 day work week Reply with quote

I currently work a 9/80 schedule (when I'm not on vacation). That
gives me every other Friday off. It's an excellent benefit, and becoming
more accepted for engineering schedules nation wide in the US. It was
a bargaining tool for us to get some of the better engineers available.

progressive, and sweet sweet sweet.

-Craig

real-human wrote:
I must agree, but think it should be 5 days in the winter and 4 in the summer. Lets talk about quality of life.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a self employed engineer, I set my hours based on the need to produce something. Not on a rigid schedule. I would also work around powder days. Employees got the same deal (along with a company ski pass). I found our productivity was very good. We could only, effectively, take on a certain amount of work before I started to notice that the profit rate dropped as did the quality. More hours doesn’t translate to a better, relative, bottom line. It’s just that after a certain amount of time....somewhere around 32 hours...productivity started to take a serious dive.

We didn’t take coffee breaks. Lunches were often working lunches. But, we would knock off for a bike ride or ski run. I didn’t even notice those breaks in the bottom line. A healthy, active, worker who might steal an hour here and there from the office to get some exercise is better than a sloth who watches the clock...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: