myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East winds increasing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: East winds increasing? Reply with quote

I saw this in the Oregonian. I assume he might be referring to the fall rather than the summer, but maybe not?

“But Saltenberger, a meteorologist for nearly 40 years, said unseasonably high temperatures and occasional fires don’t necessarily foretell a particularly bad wildfire season. Steadily rising temperatures, less precipitation and stronger winds across the Northwest are cause for concern, however.

“I detect an ominous trend in the number and intensity of the strong easterly wind events that seem to be moving northwards from California into Oregon and Washington and hitting us at times when fire danger is high,” said Saltenberger, who reviews fluctuations in fire danger and weather and anticipates possible spates of large and costly wildfires.“
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. In my experience we rarely see easterlies of any significant prior to maybe Labor Day weekend. They seem to be strong only when we get a pretty cool, cloudless night which is uncommon before Labor Day.
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Our typical fall surface easterly winds are concentrated in the Stevenson to Rooster area and a few passes and are associated with a strong pressure gradient in that area.

The recent big wind was caused by an unusual upper level set up that is why:

1. The entire Gorge saw strong E winds except in places in wind shadows.
2. There were very E. strong winds at the top of Mt. Hood.
3. The pressure gradient was modest in the Stevenson to Rooster area.

So that was more of a freak event than a climate shift. While the increasing easterly winds in the Fall is likely the product of a slow climate shift. The North Pacific High is increasingly likely to push a ridge into California and the Pacific Northwest. (think of the North Pacific High as a mountain of clockwise spiraling wind and a ridge as an extension of that mountain pushing inland. That ridge puts high pressure to our east favoring easterly winds.

This same thing is happening way more commonly in the San Francisco Bay Area and Southern California even in the summer in the last decade or so.

You can see the beginning of this process in the image below as the North Pacific High off the west coast pushes a ridge into the Pacific Northwest next week.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
Blog: https://blog.weatherflow.com/category/cali-baja/san-fran/
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
Photography: https://windnotes.smugmug.com

2021-04-24 11.18.01.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  940.6 KB
 Viewed:  16390 Time(s)

2021-04-24 11.18.01.jpeg

jgda

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Polar vortex dislodgement? Reply with quote

I admit I did not read the Oregonian article (there was no link to it).

Is Saltenburger perhaps referring instead to the unusual and very strong eastlerly winds resulting from Polar Vortex dislodgement (due to Global Warming)? I don't believe he is Gorge-centric. Rather, he may be Willamette Valley-centric.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: