myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS Watch Recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. My Fenix 5s was having trouble charging and after some googling it seems like the power connection can corrode a bit making it hard to charge. I was able to clean it off with some ETOH but I am a bit concerned after reading quite a few complaints about this online.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... no issues with mine . But will keep an eye on it. Perhaps maybe dunk the watch on some vinegar for a bit .
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took to it with some alcohol and q-tip and it seems better. Now I make sure I let it dry out before charging.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucaro and Skyking.... I am just about ready to commit to the Fenix 5. A couple of questions: Does Garmin require a subscription for this product? I have a Garmin inReach satellite device with a monthly subscription. I love it (SOS capabilities, GPS, etc.). But, as mentioned before, I am ready for a GPS watch for tracking speed, distance, and track.

Also, do you need to have this unit linked to a phone to report the data? Or do you just simply download the data to a mobile app or desktop site?

Thanks for your help.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
Lucaro and Skyking.... I am just about ready to commit to the Fenix 5. A couple of questions: Does Garmin require a subscription for this product? I have a Garmin inReach satellite device with a monthly subscription. I love it (SOS capabilities, GPS, etc.). But, as mentioned before, I am ready for a GPS watch for tracking speed, distance, and track.

Also, do you need to have this unit linked to a phone to report the data? Or do you just simply download the data to a mobile app or desktop site?

Thanks for your help.

I would google this charging port issue first, although even with that problem and my 40% off black friday price I am satisfied

No need for a subscription. I have the app on my phone and I think it bluetooths to the watch. You can either view it on app or go to garminconnect.com and watch it. I charge my watch through my computers usb but I am not sure how to use the computer to upload to garmin connect, but I am sure there is a way
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have an iPhone, just get an Apple Watch - why waste money on a dedicated device when you can have something that is genuinely useful 100% of the time..

I used an AW3 for several years, now an AW5. The AW3 survived full on wave sailing with nary a blip and my wife still uses it.

I use Dawn Patrol for recording sessions. Although intended for surfing it works pretty good for windsurfing. Lots of other apps do the same thing.

If you sail in the waves at a location with a SurfLine cam, and you subscribe to surfline your sessions are recorded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: