myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which board for SF Bay 3rd Avenue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainer412

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Which board for SF Bay 3rd Avenue Reply with quote

Hello all,
I will move soon to the SF Bay area, coming from a rather mid to low wind region, and am looking for a smaller FSW board to mostly windsurf at 3rd avenue. (I would like to buy that board before moving to the bay area since I get them very cheap where I live).

I weigh 178 pounds, am an intermediate sailor and like mostly freeracing and blasting around. My current boards are a 123L iSonic 72 and a 105L Severne Fox which I use with 3-cam slalom sails from 6.2 to 8.6.
That seems to be too big gear for 3rd Avenue and I am thinking of buying a FSW either 85L or 95L (Dyno or Kode), mainly for high wind blasting, but also try some jumping or freewave surfing. I already have Severne Gator sails in 3.7/4.2/4.7/5.5 in my quiver for such a board.

Would you go for 85L or 95L for 3rd avenue, considering my next bigger board is a 105?
Is the gap from 85 to 105 too big, and 3rd av conditions would be rarely be good for 85L?
Is the overlap of a 95L board and a 105L too big and I would often need something smaller?

Thanks for your advice to help me decide. (There seem to be few 90L boards around which would be the obvious solution Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90-95, you still need to get home in the late afternoons.
Bear in mind there will be a dozen days when you NEED a 3.7, and one to 3, a 3.2.
benpfree1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a Goya One, Starboard Kode, Exocet X-wave, or Fanatic Freewave would all be good I think.
rainer412

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
90-95, you still need to get home in the late afternoons.
Bear in mind there will be a dozen days when you NEED a 3.7, and one to 3, a 3.2.

So if I get you right, rather a 95L board than 85L since conditions for a 85L / 3.7 sail are rare?
I might then go for the Dyno 95 which is rather narrow and is said to be good for choppy waters.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind, the Dyno is a thick, blocky board with tail rocker added, and the rails thinned.
Not a traditional fsw board as listed. It's better in lighter wind, really lively in decent wind.
mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 190 pounds so I am a bit heavier than you. My two main boards are 95 and 105 Fanatic freewaves. I occasionally ride an 85 liter but the wind has to be fairly strong and steady. Quite often at 3rd the wind can be lighter near shore so the extra volume is nice to have when slogging. I tend to use an 85 liter board more at places like Sherman Island where you are never that far from shore and it can get much windier than it typically is at 3rd. For me the size difference between the 105 and 95 is a nice spacing. You probably will rarely use your 123 liter board at 3rd. Considering that your smallest board is 105 liters I think you would probably be more comfortable at first with 95 liters rather than 85. Because of the currents, the water conditions can vary from being very flat on the floods to a nice rolling swell on the ebbs particularly out in the channel. Several different fins can also extend the range of a particular board.
There is a really great group of people that windsurf and kite at 3rd. The bay is a large area so you are not competing for space like some of the other places.
Be sure to introduce yourself when you arrive. A 12 pack of beer will buy you a whole lot of local knowledge and may save you from a long swim or walk in certain conditions.
rainer412

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:

Be sure to introduce yourself when you arrive. A 12 pack of beer will buy you a whole lot of local knowledge and may save you from a long swim or walk in certain conditions.

Will certainly do that, but better make it a 24 pack!

I will then probably start with a 95L board. If I later feel it is too big, it shouldn't be difficult to sell there or exchange to an 85L:-)

In fact I come from a real light wind area where I mostly use my 165L Super Lightwind and 9.2 cam sail on perfectly flat water, so definitely a big change of gear to me.

But I already conquered Maui Kanaha last year in 30+kn / 8 foot swell conditions, and Jericicoacoara/Brazil, so I will be ok in 3rd av conditions.
Is there a place in the bay where winds are lighter (around 15-20kn) and water is flat for some slalom speed surfing on my 123L board and 7.0/7.8 sails? I have heard of Alameda...
Or are October/November conditions at 3rd av for such larger gear?

Also my 9yr son and wife started last windsurfing last year, but they can only do some slogging and chicken jibes... Laughing. Where is the best spot for beginners with flat water, easy water access and not too strong winds? I would like them to keep learning without getting frustrated by too difficult conditions.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Candlestick for flat water Reply with quote

Candlestick for flat water
The wind is offshore so you should have good upwind
skills and not go past the rip rap actually better to stay
West of the Launch Point .
West and North West Winds are the Best for this.

If you want ultra safe conditions for kids shoreline park
in Mountain View . It's too crowded to even park on weekends
though.
Coyote Point on the Inside is safe though Bumpy most of the
time.

Add on
Yes the tides make a big difference and are something you should
become familiar with.

Many places within a 100 to 200 miles radius .
Sacramento River Delta and the Coast.

Last edited by ctuna on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, incoming tide days, about 10 per month, are flat enough water with good wind for big gear. Lots of 12-22 mph days then.
Slack tides, or days with little current, also give flat water and moderate breezes for your biggest gear.
Only steep ebbs make the "epic" conditions, which can easily match or exceed anything in Maui.
Most experienced 3rd sailors easily handle Maui, while lots of Islanders are surprised by the big days in SF Bay.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for calmer waters are Crown Beach in Alameda and San Luis Reservoir on light wind days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: