myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Broke my batten tensioner... again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Broke my batten tensioner... again! Reply with quote

Replaced it twice, figured when the batten sticks out further than the clew, that's what we get!

Anyway, this time I'm thinking about putting the batten rope over the tensioner screw trimming a little dip to keep it in place and call it a repair Very Happy ! Thoughts?

EDIT: Well, this is what I learned...

Proper batten tension is generally tuned when the sail is fully rigged but... with the neilpryde clip design, it puts too much tension on the clip and I heard of people breaking them while force closing them rigged.

While when tension is released, they can be clipped shut much more easily. So one may need to add and release tension to fine tune adjustments.

Without a donor clip, I could zip tie the rope around the tensioner screw to keep it in place, maybe wrap the whole thing with some sticky tape to protect from abrasion... but well not so great!

In the end, I had 3 spare clips, I figured my sail is on its last legs and will provide two more clips (3 battens only!!) as a donor for the next neilpryde (if I get one). So I sliced open one of my donor batten clip and we'll be replacing it again.

EDIT: Filling in the gap, gluing in a sliver of sorts, might increase its structural integrity to protect from future stress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: