myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 339, 340, 341  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder for Isobars and Mike Fick who thought that the Trump administration was doing a fine job, and this COVID stuff wasn’t really that bad. From Contagion:

Quote:
A new analysis of excess deaths in New York City this spring shows that the current pandemic’s peak had a dramatic impact on mortality in the city, one comparable to that of the 1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic.

Investigators found that while the overall incidence rate of mortality was higher in the 1918 pandemic, the current increase was more striking, given that the baseline death rate today is substantially lower than it was a century ago.

Jeremy Samuel Faust, MD, MS, of Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and colleagues wanted to find a meaningful way to compare the 20th century pandemic to the current pandemic. To do so, they looked at excess deaths, a metric that compares the number of deaths that would have been statistically expected during a period of time to the actual number of deaths. Such analyses can capture deaths that may have been a result of the pandemic but were not officially listed as such.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on mac, aren't you comparing apples and oranges?

Sounds to me like you're trying to mitigate the results of the Spanish Flu pandemic. Why even do that?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

Sounds to me like you're trying to mitigate the results of the Spanish Flu pandemic. Why even do that?

Chandler—there is no doubt that the 1918 pandemic was far worse. it killed 675,000 people in about 9 months. But then it was largely over. The peak mortality rate in 1918 was about 200 times higher than now. We’re at 343,000 deaths now—after 9 months—with a much larger population. But we are nowhere near the end.

I will periodically remind Mike Fick and mrgybe of their idiotic posts which claimed, in the case of Fick and others, that the seasonal influenza was worse, or in the case of gybe the apologist, that this wasn’t really so bad and the administration’s response was just fine. At about half the deaths of the 1918 pandemic, they are both clearly wrong.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
swchandler wrote:

Chandler—there is no doubt that the 1918 pandemic was far worse. it killed 675,000 people in about 9 months. But then it was largely over. The peak mortality rate in 1918 was about 200 times higher than now. We’re at 343,000 deaths now—after 9 months—with a much larger population. But we are nowhere near the end.

I will periodically remind Mike Fick and mrgybe of their idiotic posts which claimed, in the case of Fick and others, that the seasonal influenza was worse, or in the case of gybe the apologist, that this wasn’t really so bad and the administration’s response was just fine. At about half the deaths of the 1918 pandemic, they are both clearly wrong.
Why is other people's opinions, that you don't agree with, so damn important to you?
Get a fucking life, constantly trying to prove them wrong is not living, and it results in nothing.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad that you think their statements were "opinions." Have they burned your high school yet, or did the exorcism work?

'
vientomas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mac wrote:
swchandler wrote:

Why is other people's opinions, that you don't agree with, so damn important to you?
Get a fucking life, constantly trying to prove them wrong is not living, and it results in nothing.

OK minion. Rolling Eyes
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Pretty funny, before this outbreak all we heard was how Trump is trying to be a dictator, OMG!!!
And now all of a sudden, the complaint is about how Trump basically hasn't been acting dictatorial enough, OMG!!!

A typical insightful opinion from NW. No facts in sight.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

Let alone the fact that my flu comment was back when the left was partying in Chinatown, blaming it all on Russian collusion, and lambasting Trump for taking coronavirus seriously. Besides, some physicians and statisticians are now saying (most disagree, at least according to the sources Google allows us to see) that with the denominator (the number of known Covid cases) going so high with testing, that the covid fatality rate is no worse than that of influenza.

Personally, I'm taking no chances. I take it far more seriously than 99% of the people we see in the streets, the halls of the congress, and on TV in general:
1. I wear masks proven to be far superior to the pleated paper crap, the polyester designer neck gaitors, and the typical surgeon's masks designed to stop (relatively) large particles,
2. I fit and wear them properly, and
3. I stay the hell home 99% of the time now that my WSing season has ended.

Besides, many here have shown repeatedly that mac (and his clones) just makes shit up with no pretense of validity and despite proof to the contrary, and dodges such issues altogether when challenged to back them up. It's like FedEx's statement regarding shipping vaccines, "This is who we are and what we do”, except that FedEx backs it up with flu vaccines every year.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Influenza is a much more deadly disease. Get your priorities straight, fearmonger.

What Isobars actually wrote. His last post was neither an apology or an admission that he was wrong—just another ad hominem attack. The sick right.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When being number one is not good news.

Last edited by mac on Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 245 of 341

Jump to: