myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsatl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
t a certain level there's no such thing as going too early...the sooner you go, the more it becomes a backwinded tack. For myself I go when the board is at "11"...just before the nose is straight into the wind, and then push against the rig to backwind the rest of the turn.

Ditto for me. If the sail isn't backwinded when I get across, it ends up as a disaster on anything 125l or less and I'm on the smaller side of things.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody tacks in the Gorge they're racing or showing off. A no wind jibe on a sinker is also not easy.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
If anybody tacks in the Gorge they're racing or showing off.

Third option: just freestylin'.
wsatl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say something about planing through?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIa-MR7Dmeh/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsatl wrote:
If the sail isn't backwinded when I get across, it ends up as a disaster on anything 125l or less and I'm on the smaller side of things.

Early has two advantages. The increased board speed, however slight, makes the board more stable. And having the rig to lean against gives us a valuable second or two to reposition hands and feet from a less than flawless move around the front.

P.S. the tacking foil video is fantastic!

wsatl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
wsatl wrote:
If the sail isn't backwinded when I get across, it ends up as a disaster on anything 125l or less and I'm on the smaller side of things.

Early has two advantages. The increased board speed, however slight, makes the board more stable. And having the rig to lean against gives us a valuable second or two to reposition hands and feet from a less than flawless move around the front.

P.S. the tacking foil video is fantastic!

Totally agree. Your explanation is good and may help others on explaining why it works. I wanted to say if I don't go early, there's a good chance it's swimming time.

Glad you enjoyed the vid. I've seen some other foil fast tacks but often the camera isn't close enough to capture it well. And, of course, Balz does his thing. Full foiling duck tack.

https://vimeo.com/338399394#t=47s
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to all this is the extremely quick move from one side to the other while not allowing any body weight toward the nose. Side to side in a flash.

The only time I felt compelled to tack on a small board was during slalom races where the wind changed and to make the next mark, it was best to tack to get upwind. The best tacks came when they weren't planned and just happened.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
The only time I felt compelled to tack on a small board was during slalom races where the wind changed and to make the next mark, it was best to tack to get upwind. The best tacks came when they weren't planned and just happened.

Nice. While I've been going on about tacks in general, my favorite tacking memory is just what you described...deciding to tack to make the next mark in a slalom race. It wasn't planned, it was fast, and I won the race because of it (I won very few races in the day.)

Also re "just happened" I remember Jason Voss (when he was teaching with ABK) describing the tack as a "twitch move". You just go for it, moving quickly, and you're either dry or wet afterwards. Certainly for myself quickness proves to be a better strategy than thinking about the tack while I'm doing it.

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. We push off the nose to try and keep momentum. When we lose speed the nose tends to sink more. That's why we compensate by leaning the sail back and going over the mast foot as opposed to around it.

Fore sure it helps to go around quickly however staying right over the board with feet balanced over its center line is also important. I place my front foot as far to the other side as possible.

It takes time to develop the feel of buoyancy of the board. Then, we can quickly re-adjust our footing to keep the board level.

Finally, it's good practice to work on backwind jibe, where we switch and then go downwind as opposed upwind.

All in all, any acquired new move helps our sailing in general. It increases overall pleasure, at least for me Smile Very Happy !

isobitchin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two types of people in the world:
Those who can tack a shortboard and those who wish they could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: