myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2020 fanatic grip te 82 vs 75

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: 2020 fanatic grip te 82 vs 75 Reply with quote

I am looking at this board for my high wind board. Any of you own it? 185 lbs. I just did not get an opportunity to ride one this summer. I will ride before I buy but thought I would see if I could get some user input.

I am wondering if the 82 will work on 3.7 days with big swell (current wave board from 2000, yes, 2000, is 76 liters, works, but is not very smooth on rough water) or whether that is too big. I also would likely use it up to a 5.3 sail if the wind were consistent. Otherwise, I would go to a bigger board.

I currently have an 84 jp freestyle wave (84 liter), but it is not very slashy and does not like anything below 4.2. Fine at 4.2, but it does not dig in to a turn when you want it to.

thanks...winter is coming...
kurtvr7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 2018/19 68 & 76 Grips and got a 2020 86 this year.
I also have an older JP 84 FW that I left in SPI.
The Grips work great in the Gorge. I use the 76 most days. For your weight the 82 or even the the 86 would be equivalent. I would think a 3.7 would be no problem I have sailed 3.3 on the 76. I can sail 4.2 on the 86 no problem. I never tried it on a 3.7 as I have the smaller 2. It’s gusty here so volume helps. The quad fin set up handles a lot of wind allowing you to use a bigger board in more wind.
I’m going to sell the 86 as I don't use it much. At my 70 kg weight, I can put a 5.0 easy on the 76. For bigger guys the 86 is the only board they use. Its just 0.5 cm wider than the 82 but plains better because of the volume.
You should look at that one too.

The JP 84 I have is pre 2012 era and was way to fast for the swell here. It was hard to slow it down to slash the swells. thats why it lives in SPI.
Looks like we are going to get some today out east, fingers crossed 🤞.
nada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the last year of 82 TriFin before they switched to quad design in 2018 - so same board, just different fin configuration - and weigh the same as you. It's my small board and I love it. Super smooth, irons the chop, heaps of control, very balanced distribution if you need to slog home, just rips the swell, very much a plug-n-play design that accommodates either front or back foot style.

Handles a 3.7 or lower without an issue; I use it from 4.2 down but think carrying a 5.3 might be a tad optimistic - biggest I have run on it is 4.7, but I typically trade up to a 94 for 4.7 - 5.3 action.

I think's Kurt's advice above on 86 is solid because we are generally sailing in 10-15 knot wind windows so that extra cork helps and quads are waaay grippier than a tri.

Either way, it's a very solid choice. Everyone I know who has one raves about em - good luck!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned well over a hundred "high-wind" boards (i.e., sinkers) and tested hundreds more over the decades (pretty much a season's worth for LeeD), and reached a broad rule of thumb that 80L works best down to about 4.2, mid-70s down to 3.7, and low 70s or mid 60s for 3.2 (I generally weigh 180ish). At or below those very soft but perceivable guidelines, the chop feels harsher than necessary. All those sizes work pretty well up to 4.7 or 5.2. A GREAT deal depends on local chop conditions, board design, preferences, fin, and much more.

Just for example, I LIKE my wave and swell-riding boards fast because I don't surf them; I keep the hammer down and blast down and up them. I'm not aware of any rule that says we have to luff and back off the throttle to slash very hard and tightly. It's a legal option I exercise most of the time I'm on the water.

I deliberately break those guidelines more days than not. There are many valid reasons to mix a board >100 L with a 4.2 (I have chosen a 3.2 overpowered on >200 liters); I have enjoyed 6.2s on sinkers for decades; and there are many valid combos in between. My most recent time on the water was modestly powered with a 5.2 on 103 liters (a 6.2 would have worked fine), as all but I and one other sailor tried to force-fit much smaller gear to fit the conditions. They lacked the power to slash the small swell, so all but one packed up and drove home rather than rig whatever was necessary to play. Assuming an easy launch and recovery venue, plug and play is a highly rewarding hoot. OTOH, many sailors prefer to spend far more time struggling ashore and rerigging everything constantly than ... you know ... windsurfing. That, too, is a choice.

I (and their U.S. importer) concur with your 84L JP FSW observations.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO agree......85 liters no good for powered 4.0.
Great for 5.5, though.
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input to all. I will try the 82 as I have the 84 FSW that I can use on light wind days even up to 5.7 although it is a push. I think I need to get an 82 grip and a 90 or so board and sell the FSW. ..footstrap ripped on my 76 liter board yesterday (great east wind) and caused me to fall and crack a rib...arg....just between my waist harness and impact vest. Time for a new board...done for the year....arg...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
... fall and crack a rib...arg....just between my waist harness and impact vest. Time for a new board....

And a better impact vest. Every time I get another injury or see a product or modification I think will work better, I relegate the current vest to the dust heap and upgrade. I also fasten my vest to my harness so they can't separate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: