myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ligaments - Keeping it all together for windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Ligaments - Keeping it all together for windsurfing Reply with quote

Forgive me if I have missed this in my search of the forums, but interested in the collective wisdom of this group, or good references, for the best way to strengthen, or prolong the strength of, ligaments. From windsurfing surveys, it seems like the most common windsurfing injuries are sprains/strains. So, I’ll assume these are likely connective tissue injuries. I am nursing/rehabing a MCL injury, so this is all top of mind right now. It looks like these puppies degrade with age, so looking to slow this down a bit. Googling, I’ve read about the strength exercises that build the muscle around joints. I’ve read about stretching and warming. Recommend any good science on diet for this? Not sure I buy the eating collagen posts out there. Certain fruits and greens are recommended.

I have legs like an emaciated fawn, so windsurfing and ice hockey will most certainly deliver more punishment, but hoping to get as many years as possible out of them. Thanks for ideas and references. Isobars ... you likely have studied this already?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware ligaments can be strenghtenned.
More flexible, yes.
Don't do catastrophic crashes.
At 71, still straight jumping with 85 liter boards, but always aware of all landings. About the same as when age 38.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing yoga about 5 years ago and it has been fantastic at strengthening and restoring the range of motion and elasticity in my shoulders and knees. I did't go to any classes - just bought a book from Amazon called "Real Men Do Yoga". It's written by a sports column writer and provides a no nonsense intro into practicing yoga with great illustrations of a wide range of poses. Great starting point and you can expand from there.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries are like trophies, we should all be proud of them except.... when tumbling off our car, stepping off our shower or shoveling snow!

Getting gear out of the car rigging and getting to the water should be a sufficient warm up workout. When the wind is gone and windskate is it little interest then rowing, chin up, and such exercises will help some along with basic leg workout.

Active workout is a great way to stretch muscles. Apply simple rules such as sail fresh and rested, quit when you start getting tired. Enjoy your long sessions!

Oh and ice is wonderful for tendons and even sore muscles.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sports physical therapy and yoga deliver is extra support (via strength) and reduced stress (via flexibility) on our aging parts. The oldest guy in my sailing crew is 76...he does both, and he's on the water locally (Long Island) year round any time the air temp is 40 degrees or better. I tell myself "if he can do it, I can do it."

Sports physical therapy is a must (it ends up being a structured workout...you don't need to see a PT anymore.) Yoga makes a big difference. There are good yoga classes via Zoom available. The following link has lots of classes that are coming from the NYC area but it doesn't make a difference.

https://iyengarnyc.org/association-institutes/live-online-classes/

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle, flexibility and strength.
Ligaments and tendons, only flexibility.
justall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I appreciate this.

Yeah, I may try to be a bit more conscious of reckless moves. The stretching / range-of-motion theme has been missing from my regular exercise. Thanks for mentioning this. I'll have a think on including that.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is annecdotal, but after surgery for torn miniscus in both knees (right one at 35, left one at 39), I started taking 1000mg glucosamine pill every single day. I am now 56 and have had ZERO trouble with knees, back, ankles, joints, etc... It helps that I'm super active (running, weightlifting, martial arts, and lots of stretching) and that I really watch what I eat and where my weight is.
10 years ago, I went to a clinic to finally learn how to do a forward, and got totally hooked on freestyle in the process, so I'm throwing myself through all those spinny/twisty tricks and it's not an issue.
There have been studies that do not definitively show any benefit to taking glucoseamine supplements (and many other supplements for that matter); mostly their conclusions are that you simply excrete (pee) the excess supplement. It's an expensive supplement, I think I pay about $28 for a container of 500 pills, but that's SUPER cheap when compared to knee surgery and the associated downtime and recovery. It certainly does no harm.

mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal physician supported use of glucosamine, and I have taken it for about 20 years. After about 3 months, it made my knees feel 20 years younger. Football, basketball and wrestling were not kind to them. Still sailing at 71.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glu/Con does pretty well. Lot's of friends take it bi daily...old guys.
I'd recommend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: