myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
shipping board from europe to usa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbird320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: shipping board from europe to usa Reply with quote

Good Day All,
Any tips on affordably shipping a board from Europe to USA? Most international freight companies, such as DHL, want some remarkably large fees.
Thanks All
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: shipping board from europe to usa Reply with quote

lbird320 wrote:
Good Day All,
Any tips on affordably shipping a board from Europe to USA? Most international freight companies, such as DHL, want some remarkably large fees.
Thanks All

I have no tips other than perhaps shipping to airport as opposed to residence? When Flikka shipped my board there was a $200 difference if I recall correctly.
lbird320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DV,
I should have mentioned I am looking for a port to port shipment.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbird320 wrote:
Thanks DV,
I should have mentioned I am looking for a port to port shipment.

I had three boards shipped from overseas, two Carbon Art from New Zealand, and the Flikka from Slovenia. They might have deals with DHL because the cost was not too bad. The Flikka was 200 euros to port, and 300 to home.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flikka mention , is an arrangement they have with a shipper as would be Witchcraft, they are shipping your board purchase .
For an individual to ship it’s going to cost an enormous amount. You may be able to arrange shipment , by making a account with a company , as FEDEx.
I suggest looking into a international BROKER, who does all the arrangements.
If one could look into coming with a airline passenger, that would be the cheapest, if the package was within the measure allowed.

It would have to be a very special board for me to look into this even.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a new board you will need prof included with the board that it cost less than $2k otherwise it will go to customs and then you will need a broker etc. This will end up costing you many hundreds of dollars plus you won't see it for a month.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their is no duty on windsurf equipment, ( unless it’s for resale) I have not had any problems with customs, and no duty, with three boards about 5 sails, 1 mast, 2 booms from Europe.

lbird320

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies,

I purchased a custom Peter Thommen board (built by Flikka) a couple years ago. Correct, there is no duty on windsurf equipment from Europe, the current maximum value allowed for a casual (personal) customs entry is $ 2,500.00.

Two years ago the shipping was $200.00 port to port (DHL). Do to the low volume of air travelers, the price of air cargo has sky rocketed. Now DHL want $1,000 + for the shipment.

I did find a couple Freight Forwarders that would quote in the $ 600.00 range, still quite a sting on a $2,000+ dollar purchase.

I was hoping someone knew of another more economical method.

Thanks Again
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this equates to my thinking , cost of shipping anything from the USA , have increased, not from Covid, and not from computer malfunctions, like has been been the blame on anything that is a problem, since they existed.
The cost for DHL to operate have increased along with others in the airplane business, fuel etc. , lack of passengers for DHL, FedEx or UPS , would not be , they don’t carry them.
Someone told me that the flights to Hawaii were full of Amazon purchases , coming back empty, kept the cost of freight down on the return leg. One board that was shipped to me was more than from Europe, maybe they can blame the jet stream.

I think your only cheap option is have a passenger ship it as baggage. Wild thought find a C17, coming from a US installation and sweet talk.

WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my gear was stolen last year the only place I could find a new replacement board was in Germany since at that point in the year the model I sail on was sold out in the US.

The board was $2250 with $150 shipping from the shop in Germany to LA then to SF and to my East Bay residence. Well that was the plan.

I get a call from the shipper in LA that because the board was over $2k it had been seized by customs. Customs asked for all this redicullas info like what is it? Where was it made? What is it made out of? etc. Oh and they weren't very happy at the time that it was made in a South Asian country. I'm not making this up, something to do with our supreme leader puffing up his chest!

So to make a month long story short I had to pay a broker a couple hundred to do the back and forth paper work with customs to release it. Customs bill was another $150.

All of this was completely out of my control unless I went down to customs in LA with the correct paper work in person, like that was going to work!

This was my experience. Maybe the shipper, customs and the broker were in cahoots together, I'll never know but I needed the board to sail so I paid it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: