myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best 4 person windsurf van?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get two small Van's. Independence and freedom.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wants to get an easy to drive good sized mini-van with stow-and-go seating, there's the Chrysler Pacifica. A good friend has one, and he's found that it's been great for moving many larger things around, but I have to say that he's not a windsurfer. Yet, they're not inexpensive, running a range from about $38-42K on average. Lot's of cameras on the van to make getting into tighter places easy.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider if parking on the street: cargo vans can be a target
for break-in because thieves think there might be contractor tools inside.
A passenger van may be less of a target and you would already have the rear seats installed. Just take out and get rid of the seats not needed and put racks in.
Also getting a custom shop to properly install rear seats in a cargo van may be expensive because of liability concerns and due to safety regulations that would have to be applied. Whereas in a passenger van, you're just taking seats out so no liability or safety concerns.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Motors and our local Honda dealer keep insisting that we bring in our Odyssey for a safety recall on our middle row of seats. We keep telling them that those seats are hanging from our 12-foot-high rafters and will will remain there until we wear the vehicle out. They decline to make a house call.

Some of us are neither LDS, Catholic, nor soccer moms, and haul dogs and/or stuff, not people.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten months ago I was in the same boat as the OP; looking to replace my Toyota minivan with a modern cargo van. I made a list of needs & shopped around extensively. One of the needs was four passenger capability & only the Dodge Promaster had seating above two in the cargo category, but that was only for three. When looking into having seats installed in the rear I ran into the issues that Carl explained, liability for lack of rear passenger safety features like air bags. I then considered the Ford Transit passenger van but the starting cost was significantly higher for passenger van vs. cargo van & then you would end up having to store or get rid of many seats so I ended up going back to a newer minivan.

At least it was fun touring & testing all the different euro style cargo vans. The cargo vans are sweet & can carry a ton of gear but I had to be realistic; 80% of the time I windsurf I only use one board for the day & the other 20% just two. Sail wise I probably only use one sail 95% of the time on any given day. On a road trip to Izzy, O'neill or the Gorge; that is a different story.

Coachg
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would work if a used van is in consideration. For example, in the following link is a 2018 Ford Transit Passenger Van with a reasonably low mileage of 27,296 miles and a reasonable price of $26,499. Remove the three seats behind the driver, install a board rack in its place and add a sails rack above the seats, you have a custom windsurfing vehicle capable of seating four (see pics). Believe me, a passenger van is cooler inside than a bare shell cargo van under the hot Sherman Island sun.

https://www.enterprisevansales.com/vehicle-details/2018-ford-transit-passenger-150-xlt--mid-roof-7-passenger-captain-seats-van-4af442a3ed45473daa0725a63becc29a

IMG_9452__with seats.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  399.32 KB
 Viewed:  13954 Time(s)

IMG_9452__with seats.jpg

IMG_9450__without seats.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.49 KB
 Viewed:  13954 Time(s)

IMG_9450__without seats.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup. I do believe you that a passenger van is much cooler than a cargo van under the hot Sherman Island sun but I have to ask, what the heck are you doing in your van at Sherman Island? I'm only in my vehicle long enough to park & then again when I drive away; the rest of the time I'm on the water or having lunch at one of the tables.
$27,296 is a little high considering one of my windsurfing buddies bought a brand new Promaster for $27,000 then built it out; insulation, fan, solar, etc..

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To better highlight the Chevy van, I included the following photos. In the loaded up photo there are 6 of the 7 boards I kept in the van, to include 4 booms, 6 masts, sails from 3.9 to 8.3, and everything else under the sun. I also included a photo of the interior, less windsurfing gear, just before I disassembled the interior that I designed and built. The Chevy is far less boxy overall, and a bit more complicated to build out, it's still provided a lot of versatility.

As an aside, I still have the complete interior, less the plywood floor, should anyone be interested. Moreover, I have many detailed photos showing how it was all goes together.

van interior loaded up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  313.3 KB
 Viewed:  13912 Time(s)

van interior loaded up.jpg

van photo 746.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.74 KB
 Viewed:  13913 Time(s)

van photo 746.jpg

Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg, "best 4 person windsurf van" is what we are looking at. I just want to remind you that OP and your "main" criteria is a van that accommodates four. As you and others have concluded, the regulatory hurdles and expenses rule out cargo vans. Your friend actually got a killer deal with a new Promaster at $27,000. The cheapest Promaster Low roof 118WB is $31,245 today which is 18% more expensive than my $26,499 Passenger Transit. My Hot Sherman Island Sun reference is for the poor boards stored inside the windsurfing vehicles.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't suggesting the OP get a Promaster, I was pointing out that $27,000 was a little high for a used van with nearly 30,000 miles and used my friends van as a cost comparison. The dealer was asking $33,000 for his high roof Promaster and they were asking nearly $40,000 for the new van I just bought, not the $33,000 they were willing to take.

As I said it earlier; I don't think the OP has much choice other than some type of passenger van because of liability issues with installing rear seats in cargo vans. Down the road this will be a sweet option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY&t=1010s

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: