myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rockin' day at Horseneck after the storm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Rockin' day at Horseneck after the storm Reply with quote

Isaias day was downright dangerous gusty (20-59) at Horseneck and we didn't want to endanger rescue crews should we break down (body or gear) while sailing. And we're old and take longer to heal.

But the day after was like the good ole' Bermuda high solid 5.8, big rolling swell days of yesteryear. Easy launch from Gooseberry upwind/outside the break, then sailing down into it. Mostly waist to shoulder high faces, and an occasional logo-high wave (I said we were old and still remember where they use to put logos on sails).

Had fun, didn't get hurt, and went back the next day at low tide to surf 30-45 yard rides on smaller waves. A little bit choppy both days but manageable and the chop usually smooths out on the wave face. Bizarre to be out is easy fun conditions with only one other person.

Today, the long-period storm swell is gone and there wasn't the usual 2-days before the storm arrives long-period storm swell either. Gotta be happy with what we got. Again, we're old. Now where did I leave my bottle of Aleve pills?
onjam1234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post. It is awesome, keep them coming. We are all getting old. In around 1989 I was 19 years old and dreaming a being a pro windsurfer (ya right! a kid from MA!) so me and a buddy went down to Horseneck because Mad Mike told us to go there as waves were coming in. We got crushed. But we learned some important basics, and began our quest for waves then braving places like the cut and 1st beach. It was over 30 years ago, it feels like it was yesterday Man! Reading your post, it is now on my bucket list to return to Horseneck someday...perhaps when I am retired and can chase waves wherever and whenever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: