myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wap vs app wind readings different
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to use wap text data on my phone. I like the simple, easy to get, easy to read text and the fact that I can get pressure reports (pdx to dalles etc.), which I have yet to be able to figure out how to get on the new app. In fact, I was told by iwindsurf last year that that was only available in classic or wap. The wap site is so much better and I can attest I am not a luddite. I know how to program computers. Bottom line, it is all about usability. I do use the newer website when I am home for maps etc., but when out in the gorge I use wap. I hope this does not go away. I think a lot more people would use wap if they knew about it...indeed it is, by now, not advertised.

PS...sorry I did not save the screen shots, maybe next time.
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: wap vs app wind readings different Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
I noticed yesterday that the wind graphs for swell for the wap site and the app site differed significantly? I did refresh both just to make sure. What's up?

I think ldhr has the most likely cause:

"There are Settings for each app - you can choose knots or MPH. Is it possible you have one set to MPH and the other to Knots?"

We see the issue you describe fairly frequently and that is the most common cause.

Go into setting for each app and make sure both are either in knots or mph.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
https://windnotes.smugmug.com
bericw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Godsey:

As I have previously noted, thank you for the service iwindsurf provides.

With respect to the original thread topic and your initial response, thank you very much for implying that the WAP will keep going for as long as possible. I have no delusion that my opinion does or should have any significance to anyone else, and I don't care, but FYI, the WAP provides me with the gorge windspeeds (except for the sites that are unfortunately no longer programmed into the WAP; I understand that this is a dead issue, and I use the app to fill in those missing sites), daily histories, and pressure gradients and temperatures much better in function, format, and accessability than the app or web sites. Whatever, thanks again for it all.

In further useless trivia, the WAP does often lag the app by a few moments regardless of frantic refreshing, and at coincident data points, appears to round down instead of up, so there is often a unit of one difference. Again, whatever. Seeing 29 ramp up (!) to 30 when driving, so much better I'd better get the driver to go faster, but when 33 plummets to 32, time to rage quit. Hahah!!

Have a great day!

Beric
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Isobars,

Take a look below at what classic and the new IW. look like on my computer.

All i am using is a free adblocker. Not a single ad. Not even on the flow viz map.

If you are seeing ads covering 85% of IW. pages something is very wrong.

Either an old browser or old OS or old computer or a virus or a corrupted cookie.

Send me a screenshot of an IW. page showing ads covering 85% (or even 25%) of the page and I will ask our support staff to give you priority for support.

When using our site as a consumer I like the ads to see what is happening in the industry and to support it.

My previous thread on the topic is at
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34399&highlight=flow+viz&sid=65b37b011daac9bf5dc56b25f91983c8 .
Its last post describes what I'm seeing right now: a much less obscured presentation. When it gets overrun with ads again, as it was just a few days ago. I'll grab a screen shot. Thanks for the offer to help.

My CPU is several years old, but my browsers and OS are always current. Even Apple told me just a few months ago I'd gain nothing by upgrading my hardware. No sweeps I've run detect any viruses, and since I pick up hundreds to thousands of cookies every few days, I've given up trying to intelligently parse them. I just empty the cookie jar every once in a while and pay a small price for a few days.
Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Please do keep the WAP running! Reply with quote

The WAP site is really helpful at many of the sites that do not have a very good cell connection (especially out East) for it does not use nearly the amount of data that the other sites use.
Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... so please, please, please by the grace of God, keep it running!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep wap running even if it DOESN'T bring in as much ad revenue. My cell phone connects and works far better out east than it does at home, and I love wap's simplicity, efficiency, speed, and freedom from ads. Just like in the rest of my world, I value substance and facts over bling all day, every day.
ldhr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of old white guys resisting change and new tech......
I resemble that remark!
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is not Weatherflow stopping supporting WAP. Since right now it does not require any IT work it will continue until evolving internet protocols do not support it.

Sort of like buggy whips. The manufactures could have kept on making them but at a certain point there was no place or need for them on cars.

Likewise, as Musk's SpaceX Starlink matures and gets enough of the planned 40,000 micro internet satellites in orbit the corpse that is now WAP will be as forgotten as our once "revolutionary" Genius Pager

This is a drag for me personally since I did the forecasts for the early launches of Googles Project Loon which is a Starlink competitor.

But Loon seems turned out to be better for fast emergency internet for a region than a global solution. https://loon.com Watch the video... its way cool.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

wireless-pager.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.48 KB
 Viewed:  17480 Time(s)

wireless-pager.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

So is Loon used continually or only launches made in emergency, like ahead of a typhoon or hurricane?

Regards,

W1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: