myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wap vs app wind readings different
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: wap vs app wind readings different Reply with quote

I noticed yesterday that the wind graphs for swell for the wap site and the app site differed significantly? I did refresh both just to make sure. What's up?
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: wap vs app wind readings different Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
I noticed yesterday that the wind graphs for swell for the wap site and the app site differed significantly? I did refresh both just to make sure. What's up?

I contacted IT about your question their response was:

1. Ask him to contact support with as much info as he can (screenshots that show specific time ranges are very helpful)

2. "didn't know anyone was still using the wap site.... and I'm a little surprised it's still running!"

Basically, the ancient WAP is running only because no one bothered to turn it off. I just checked the usage stats of all of the Weatherflow consumer products from DataScope to Sailflow.com to Fishweather.com and the % of customers still using WAP is so low it does not even register as a fraction of 1%.

Since I know a few of you still rely on WAP I told Flordia IT:

"There seems to be a small but loyal contingent of WAP users in areas where there is almost no reception ie. Eastern Gorge so WAP is fast."

So, hopefully, our WAP will continue until that technology becomes incompatible with newer tech. But like our old pager... its days are numbered.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
https://windnotes.smugmug.com
GarryW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in as a WAP user. It's a lot easier to access and it's just simple numbers. WAP is also the only way that you read readings while driving.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer WAP and classic iwindsurf, but you can have my pager back.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys tried using the IW. app with your phone on your dash?

You can then read text wind reports updated every minute from your favorite sites on your route.

There are also tiny wind graphs so you can see if the wind trend is up or down and the gust factor. Plus you can set your own alerts.

See image below.

Mike

IMG_4486.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  489.16 KB
 Viewed:  29045 Time(s)

IMG_4486.jpeg

Last edited by windfind on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Settings for each app - you can choose knots or MPH. Is it possible you have one set to MPH and the other to Knots?

The WINDALERT app is awesome. It's the phone app for Ikitesurf, Iwindsurf, etc.
It shows a map and with 2 taps - you can see a list of the spots on the map with current wind speeds..

When viewing the map - you can slide the screen to the far east opr to the coast, click on the wind list - and it will list the sensors in that area.

I deleted all my other bookmarks and just use the Windalert app on the phone.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away from home I use only WAP*. Everything I need to know from iW, Windfinder, Tamira, NOAA, NAM, GFS, Pendleton radar, river flow and temps, etc. about board and sail size, wet suit and bootie selection, wind shadows, gradient dynamics, cloud cover, precipitation, and more is available with one click each within one or two seconds and WITH NO #^!#X*+ ADS.

* But NOT while driving. It is a primary offense in many states because it is dangerous.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that is really big font size over such a tiny ad at the bottom of all that useful sensor information in the phone app. See the ad below.

We live in a capitalist country. Something has the pay the bills for every company on the internet. And most sites are cluttered with ads.

The 33 cents/day that iwi/ik customers pay for using some the 1000+ Weatherflow weather stations covers only a tiny fraction of the cost of the sensors, maintenance, rent, insurance, models, salaries etc. And the 3/8 inch tall app ads cover another tiny fraction while helping send business to local shops and vendors.

The math is simple... our data saves most customers way more than 33 cents/day in gasoline and wasted time.

For fun, do a little exploring of the weatherflow.com web site and you should be able to figure out that the business model supporting iw/ik is unique n the business world. Enjoy it!

Mike Godsey

AppTemp2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.41 KB
 Viewed:  29002 Time(s)

AppTemp2.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capitalism is one thing. Covering more than 85% of my desktop screen with ads is outright robbery, not "a small price to pay". The Flow Viz you guys put so much effort into is useless, as its ad content obliterates >90% of the data we're paying for.

Yes, I've complained directly to Weatherflow.
Yes, I pay cash for the best ad blocker I can find.
And STILL the actual content on my screen jumps around insanely as ads of various sizes come and go.

Some browsers and some sites ask or tell me to shut off my ad blocker if I want to use them. The instant I do that my screen is nothing BUT ads, so I just do my damnedest to boycott those sites and browsers. And that's on a big desktop screen; on a cell phone it's obviously worse. That's why NO one but my wife and Verizon have legitimate access to my cell phone number ... not any of my doctors, not Delta Airlines, not my banks, not even my brother. Those screens (and my landline) are MINE, not the rest of the world's.

Practically speaking, however, how much do iW and the internet want for ad-free browsing? Name a reasonable figure and I'll write the check. Google thinks that some people actually WANT ads in their face when trying to study something. I, OTOH, am (well) over 10 years old, so when I want to buy something, I'll research it and find a source on my own.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isobars,

Take a look below at what classic and the new IW. look like on my computer.

All i am using is a free adblocker. Not a single ad. Not even on the flow viz map.

If you are seeing ads covering 85% of IW. pages something is very wrong.

Either an old browser or old OS or old computer or a virus or a corrupted cookie.

Send me a screenshot of an IW. page showing ads covering 85% (or even 25%) of the page and I will ask our support staff to give you priority for support.

Incidentally, it is NOT a good idea to use the IW. web pages on your phone. Those web pages were designed for large monitors and load slowly unless you have a great signal. Instead, get our free iPhone or Android app. Very fast and you just get the information you need plus satellite, model etc.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

P.S. Yes, I recognize the hypocrisy of blocking ads. But when I am too busy forecasting I don't want ads. When using our site as a consumer I like the ads to see what is happening in the industry and to support it.

IWTEmp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.79 KB
 Viewed:  28975 Time(s)

IWTEmp.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: