myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Marine Radio Carrier Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Marine Radio Carrier Suggestions? Reply with quote

Can people recommend a good way to carry marine radios? Some of the ideas mentioned in older threads aren't on the market any more. Using a waist harness. Have ICOM M-36 which is 12" from base to end of antenna.

Thanks,
fxop
radross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry-Pak 5x12 VHF radio case, with neck lanyard stuffed inside the my wetsuit against my chest. I also attach a whistle to the lanyard. Does not get in the way of the harness or hooking in/out. The radio bag is helpful in cutting down on wind noise when transmitting. Having the radio (and whistle) easily accessible and secured around your neck while bobbing up and down in rough conditions while attempting to hold onto your rig and board and/or your buddy's rig is helpful for not only using but also preventing inadvertently losing it.

Ross
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanny pack
tomg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera bag with hole for antenna. To keep it out of the way, I attached it to the back of harness. I drilled holes along top and through harness and ample use of zip ties.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to buy the extended warranty for the ICOM radios. They last about one season, even with rinsing. I've known warranties with two or more replacements on them. I've had the WestMarine branded base model radio, ~$110, for four years now.
SAS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to know about so-called waterproof marine radios is that most are not waterproof enough to hold up to the forces put upon them during windsurfing. Most define "waterproof" as being able to be submerged typically no deeper than one meter in static water for 30-60 minutes.

When you fall while you are sailing fast, it puts a lot more stress on the radio than this. That is why durability is an issue. If you buy one, a waterproof bag is a good idea, as is putting it someplace protected. Before you choose one, check its rating.

I have gone to using a rescue beacon designed for scuba divers. It comes with a sturdy plastic waterproof case and is rated to a depth of 425 feet, much more than other marine radios. It is designed to go to depth for hours, while a diver is swimming. It costs $169 on Amazon and in is a GPS, something most marine radios aren't, and will automatically transmit a distress signal with your GPS coordinates.

https://www.nautiluslifeline.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: