myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rock Creek, locals (97040) only!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

I think surfers are a little more territorial (and a little more feral too eh)
than windsurfers, but extended periods of fear do cause some very
unpleasant (and irrational) social reactions.

I'm not expecting that in the Gorge though, and Biff is welcome to Mosier.
I'll just sail on up to the Hatchery from ...........well, you know.

Stay Healthy Amigo!

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
What do you do when the locals attack and thrash your car while you're out sailing? It happened to me in the past surfing.

Seems like an ugliness could be brewing in the Gorge about territory and a growing dark locals-only mindset.
westender

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tourists swarm every launch every year. I've been rude to people before. Shocked Ignored them when they asked what size I was on.
Twisted Evil
Bond1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trenthightower wrote:
Hey Biff, guess what else is closed? Koberg State Park. Every time you launch at Rock Creek your are violating that closure. So, you preach to others about violating a closure while you violate a closure. Why is this OK for you?

I would like to see this addressed, but we tend to adjust our personal integrity to whatever suits our needs. It would likely be as easy to rationalize crossing closed Koberg land as it would be to rationalize coming from out of town to sail Mosier.
jgda

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/quarantine-fatigue-real-and-shaming-people-wont-help/611482/

Good article...we need to move forward with opening up safely...
daviddk

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond1 wrote:
trenthightower wrote:
Hey Biff, guess what else is closed? Koberg State Park. Every time you launch at Rock Creek your are violating that closure. So, you preach to others about violating a closure while you violate a closure. Why is this OK for you?

I would like to see this addressed, but we tend to adjust our personal integrity to whatever suits our needs. It would likely be as easy to rationalize crossing closed Koberg land as it would be to rationalize coming from out of town to sail Mosier.

It's a bullshit law, unenforceable. Just go, don't be stupid, don't hang out on the beach, have fun.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Creek is still closed, unless you live in 97040.
I am not the decider; I'm just a messenger who lives here.
Everybody who lives in Mosier supports this rule.
The police and state park staff have also been very supportive.
They realize what has been happening the past couple months.
And that is the de facto use of Mosier overall as an open "state park".

If you don't live anywhere near Mosier or the Gorge, you probably don't really understand the situation.

Close your eyes and try to imagine your immediate neighborhood community consistently and increasingly visited during this sort of time. Imagine your neighborhood of 400 visited by hundreds daily, against the law. Imagine most of them not wearing masks or making space.

How would you feel about it? If you are OK with this, you have a limited imagination, no compassion, or you're lying to yourself and everybody else.

I realize most people are really pretty decent. There are very encouraging signs of leadership out there. Temira spreads the word, Pepi from 2nd Wind understands and supports, etc. I'm actually OK with taking heat, getting called names, and weathering other absurd implications about my character regarding spreading the word and support. Because it exposes who the trolls truly are.

I would like to encourage any relative newbies to the sport and this forum to ignore the blowhard bullies and continue to seek advice here. Most water sports people are still super-helpful and will risk their lives to save another's. It is a pity though that Iwindsurf forums have devolved into troll caves. I guess it is a normal progression these days. Anyway, trolls bore me, and I think they should ultimately be ignored.

Death toll is now about 100K, and this includes a lot of healthcare workers. And yes this is accurate, no matter what liar "leaders" say in order to cover their own incompetence. Many more lives of survivors have been damaged and shortened. Wear a mask, wash hands, and don't go places you're not supposed to.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring all the 90210 stuff, if you think you are the only credible source on this forum, you are pathetic.

Of course the conditions at your break are unique to the world and no one else could understand them.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
philodog

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Biff

What law are you talking about? Even if the city passed a law it doesn't own any part of the beach or launch area (check the Wasco County GIS map), just the parking lot, which is closed to EVERYONE. Stop posting crap just because you want it for yourself.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Here's the notice Reply with quote

The current notice, posted on the gate.

Other small communities subject to being overrun by potential vectors (big city) of Covid19 virus are wise to protect themselves as well. Hood River is one.

Rock Creek is a rather complicated hodgepodge of territory and jurisdictions. This includes Mosier, the Union Pacific Railroad, Oregon, Wasco County, and the River People. But the jurisdiction that matters most in in this case and for general use is the City of Mosier. Because the residents of Mosier are the ones who use it most and virtually every day of the year. And Mosier spends the most money on it. All the jurisdictions involved understand this and are OK with it. I haven't heard of any complaints from any of the other jurisdictions. The complaints I hear about mostly come from those who jump to conclusions. Or are simply trolls with bad attitudes and lack of imagination.

On a side note, Post Canyon currently has a similar locals only rule in effect. Only those living in 97031 may ride to and through Post Canyon. I haven't been on any mtn bike forums to read the complaints. But the locals only rule is being used there too, for obvious similar reasons that make a lot of sense to those who live there.

As I mentioned previously, the enforcement agencies have been very supportive around here. I have heard reliable reports of enforcement at Post Canyon and Rock Creek. It's relatively easy to run plate numbers and look at driver licenses.

20200424_212557_173.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.39 KB
 Viewed:  13931 Time(s)

20200424_212557_173.jpg

philodog

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Because it is written on a piece of paper and posted does not make it a legitimate law.
#2 Even if it is a legitimate law it is completely unenforceable based on the hodgepodge of ownership. No deputy is going to bother wasting their time.
#3 Even if it was enforceable it's just stupid. There are no crowds there in the springtime.
#4 Even if it was enforceable and there were crowds it is just a selfish attitude to think locals only are worthy. If it is potentially dangerous it should be closed to everyone.

Just rig, get on the water and don't hang out on the beach. Don't let Biff scare you, no one is enforcing it. See y'all there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: