myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leaving windsurf gear in the car
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My POV on vent plugs, I live at 6250 feet above sea level, at times I sail at 11,000 feet.
Then I travel to sea level. I always remove the plugs between altitudes.
For heat I advise do the same.
If Having boards in the vehicle is not an option , haveing the windows cracked is the only thing I see, maybe some insulated blanket over the board, unknown if that’s really good. If possible I would try to put sails on top of the board .May be able to rig a battery operated fan to circulate the Air.
In the vehicle is not an idea scenario, but I don’t see any problem.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept three boards in my white Econoline van for 20 years, always in the sun. 13 years in Texas and 7 years in North Carolina. The current three boards are over 12 years old, two with vent plugs that I never open. Texas heat is commonly over a 100 degrees up to 60 days a year. Never a problem with my boards. No bags. Sails, booms and masts in the van too and never an issue.

The only heat delamination I ever had was with a Seatrend long ago (before the van) in a gray board bag laying in the sun at the lake.

Last edited by techno900 on Wed May 13, 2020 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
coachg

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Joe's links, here is one from Big Winds.

https://bigwinds.com/blogs/windsurfing-blog/afraid-to-ask-whats-with-vent-screws

Coachg
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good video!
Too bad I don't use that chinook base. I like the ones that can pivot forward or backwards giving an extra few inches of adjustment.

My other question(witch should be a different topic) is the foil ok in the car? I assume so since its alu and carbon fiber. I have super lubed( Dielectric grease) all bolts. The slingshot grease they supplied is natural and suposildy melts in the car on a hot day so stayed away from using that. The board is also slingshot, will try to leave that out of the car. Definitely do not plan on making any repairs on it anytime soon to see if its thermal formed. My guess it's okay since I've seen these boards survive multiple Australian summers(7,000km) with no issue.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you've SEARCHed the archives with key words such as vent, hot car, etc. There is a wealth of information there.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dreaded butt cheek delam, and a real nasty one too.

-Craig

joethewindsufa wrote:
just check out the "boardlady"

https://boardlady.com/heatdamage.htm

https://shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/windsurfing-sup-foil-how-to-articles/caring-for-your-new-windsurf-board-how-to-protect
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I hope you've SEARCHed the archives with key words such as vent, hot car, etc. There is a wealth of information there.

I found a few topics. Seems the vent out vs vent in during storage is a never ending debate. Soneone mentioned before the consequences have beem worse for forgetting the vent on the water then not taking it out at all.
Thanks for all your opinions.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
isobars wrote:

I found a few topics. Seems the vent out vs vent in during storage is a never ending debate. Soneone mentioned before the consequences have beem worse for forgetting the vent on the water then not taking it out at all.
Thanks for all your opinions.

How fragile is your ego? ); I've been known to write VENT PLUG STUPID around the mast track so I'm sure to see it and ensure the plug is snug. I got this tip from a top World Cup pro who forgot to reinstall the pug on his custom slalom board. Yes, he won the heat but the board was toast.

There is little risk other than failing to tighten by opening the vent inside your car or on the roof. Your board won't absorb moisture from atmospheric humidity as long as the hull is warmer than the air. Board on Maui (about as humid as it gets) don't pull humid air inside unless the board is cooling, at which time it may "inhale" humid air. Still, the amount of liquid that might be ingested from humid air is negligible -even overnight in Haiku.

Remember, it is expansion of liquid water into vapor that increases pressure inside a closed board that causes damage. Mere humidity in and around an open board doesn't cause any damage or saturation in a short term. Long term open storage in the jungle is a huge deal, but easy to prevent by closing the vent when getting home.

Summarized, open your vents if the boards are in direct sun -especially in a bag or inside a van/car. Don't let boards with closed vents hang out on blistering beaches in direct sun for a long time. If nothing else, its a motivation to keep sailing. Open vents if transporting in a hot car or in a board bag UNLESS board is wet! If wet, don't put it in a bag and close the zipper. At least leave the bag vented as much as possible.

techno900

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been lucky (I guess), by doing nothing with my vent plugs, it makes me wonder about all the boards built without vent plugs. I am assuming that those with vent plugs are of a more fragile construction (lighter) and the designers feared that without equalizing the pressure, there was/is a risk of a structural problem. The two boards that I have with plugs are Starboard. An Isonic and a Formula - 120+ degree van hasn't hurt them in over a decade.

However, I have taken the plugs out on occasion to inspect and lube the O rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: