myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large freeride RAF sails with shape
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have no-cams that look relatively flatter on the beach (even when set for power with the batten above the boom protruding in front of the mast). Both "types" have a deep profile when powered up. So does a sail that has a pre-shaped draft translate to any cam-like benefit for blasting back and forth?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a sail that feels and sails like a cam sail than get a cam sail. Are cam sails worth the extra rigging hassles and mast wear? Its been talked about a ton here.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
I also have no-cams that look relatively flatter on the beach (even when set for power with the batten above the boom protruding in front of the mast). Both "types" have a deep profile when powered up. So does a sail that has a pre-shaped draft translate to any cam-like benefit for blasting back and forth?

A belly does not necessarily make a race sail ... And the Cheeta does not come to mind as a competitive free race sail. At the end of the story is marketed as a freeride ... does it still have a vinyl window?

If you want a very fast RAF sail I would forget about "pre-shaped'" and look somewhere else. The already mentioned Pont-7 ACX, or Severne NCX, or Nell Pryde Speedster. Or get a Point-z ACZ, it has two cams under the boom and promises to be marginally heavier than the ACX with the added low end/upwind potential given by the cams. https://point-7.com/zero-20-overview/acz-flatwater-simplicity-2020/

Also checkout Windsurf Uk, they have sail tests of freerace sails.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl window is gone in all 2020 Ezzy sails
akrausz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really familiarized myself with Point 7. They look like nice sails. Interesting that the ACX is designed so that there is no downhaul tuning. Makes even more of a case for adjustable outhauls.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 90s, I was totally into cambered race sails, even down to 4.2.

While in more recent years I've focused more on the ease and durability of no-cams, they just don't have the upwind ability to match cammed sails, even those that I used many years ago.

Also, I think that some of that is the difference is using RDMs versus SDMs. I believe that the latter make for better structure and windward performance overall, especially when being powered up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: