myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for windsurfing in California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
I would contact Delta Windsurf Co. and 101 Surfsports and ask.
Pretty sure both can rent longterm and allow travel.

Thank you very much. I'll do
jse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for windsurfing in California Reply with quote

waterwind2012 wrote:
Hi to everybody!

I am Fabio from Italy.

I will be in California next August, and I would like to have some windsurfing sessions there.

I am an intermediate level windsurfer, who like both flat waters and waveriding sessions (safe and not huge swell - I often go to South Africa, or Oman, and use 80 liters board).

I will not have my windsurfing equipment with me, so I will have to rent.

I ask your help to find ideal spots, in San Francisco, San Diego, and LA areas, where to rent and have wave or flat waters sessions.

I'd also appreciate if you can suggest websites where I can find a good review of the spots.

Thanks for your contribute.

Fabio

If you have time, since you came this far, Maui is a short 4.5 hour flight Smile

Steve
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for windsurfing in California Reply with quote

jse wrote:

If you have time, since you came this far, Maui is a short 4.5 hour flight Smile

Steve

Hi Steve. Maui is the dream of every windsurfer.... You are right, after 15 hours flight, it would be worth of doing other 4.5 hours to be in heaven.... (even if I heard that August is not the best period for windsurfing in Maui).

But, I will be on holiday with my family, this time, and the target will be to visit part of California in two weeks..... (which is, already, an hard job) I guess I'll like it, so there's a chance I will come again, maybe with friends only.., and mainly for windsurfing. So, maybe, I will also come to Maui, who knows.

So far, I understood that I will have the chance to ride in San Francisco Bay, with lots of rental centers where to hire, and nice spots, with good wind on summer time (I hope I can try Crissy field).

It would be more difficult to ride in Southern California, also because winds are lighter, there, on summer time. Probably, summer is better for surfing than for windsurfing in Southern California, so, probably, I'll hire and go surfing, when I'll be there.

Thanks. Fabio
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board Sports rents from Coyote Point in San Mateo south of SF, and also in Alameda across the bay to the east. My excellent experiences renting from them in both locations were 10-15 years ago. Since they are still in business I believe they are still doing things right.
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
Board Sports rents from Coyote Point in San Mateo south of SF, and also in Alameda across the bay to the east. My excellent experiences renting from them in both locations were 10-15 years ago. Since they are still in business I believe they are still doing things right.

Hi Del Carpenter. Thanks for your reply.

Quite surely, I will go to San Mateo, and rent from Board Sports, since I read very positive reviews about the spot and the windsurfing center.

While it seems that Crissy field could be a bit tricky, for the Ebb Tide and the ships traffic, not to mention that there are no rental centers at the spot, and can be a bit complicate to rent in a place and ride somewhere else.
allen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It would be more difficult to ride in Southern California, also because winds are lighter, there, on summer time. Probably, summer is better for surfing than for windsurfing in Southern California, so, probably, I'll hire and go surfing, when I'll be there. "

Actually August is probably the best time for wind in Southern CA (Los Angeles area) when you can get afternoon winds in the 15-25 mph range at least half of the time.
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:

Actually August is probably the best time for wind in Southern CA (Los Angeles area) when you can get afternoon winds in the 15-25 mph range at least half of the time.

Good to know. It only remains to find the best spots in SOCA, with good rental centers, right at the spot.

At the moment, I found this one:

http://www.missionbayaquaticcenter.com/
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For so cal windsurfing

https://www.captainkirksusa.com/

In general swell comes with winter storms .
Most spots in Cali are more or less dead in the Summer
for surfing.

Nor Cal wind season is best from May/June to September
with occasional surprises in the off season.
We use to have really long seasons not so much the last few
years. (March till the end of October)

Southern Cal has some action from September to November
but it's not as windy in general as Nor Cal during it's peak season.

A lot of the So Cal guys go to Baja for epic wind and waves .
The Wind season down there is generally when it's winter up here in Nor Cal.

Last edited by ctuna on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering lugging gear around for a few days - I assume you'd be keeping it inside a car/van? Considering the car break-in situation nowadays... Ten years ago, down in Santa Barbara I kept board and sails in a station wagon for weeks without any concern, but looking at the Bay Area these days, hmm, I'm not so sure.
waterwind2012

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
If you are considering lugging gear around for a few days - I assume you'd be keeping it inside a car/van? Considering the car break-in situation nowadays... Ten years ago, down in Santa Barbara I kept board and sails in a station wagon for weeks without any concern, but looking at the Bay Area these days, hmm, I'm not so sure.

No, I will rent just for the day, and give the gear back by the end of the day. And probably I will have my sessions right at the spot where the rental center is placed. Alternatives seem too complicated...

Anyway, thank for the warning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: