myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have to worry about it when you have wind. Used to be a guy on a plastic Tiga that passed about everyone. Good carpenters don't need fancy hammers.

Rolling Eyes
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weighed naked board at 18lbs, no fins, no screws (not even the vent plug!).
So that's 2lbs worth of equipment, yeah my straps are heavy but comfy Smile !
Checked the weight spec for 2013, 6.8kg = 15 lbs, so I'm 3 lbs over.

My Quad 82 wood specs is 6.8kg as well (smaller but heavier construction) and it's spot on at 16-17lbs fully equipped.

I've visually checked inserts, nose and tail, everything looks good.
The only thing I could spot is a hairline crack right in the middle of the mast track running across the track perpendicularly. Water seems to be coming out from there, I'm not 100% sure but if there's a place that could be problematic it's there... huge leverage against it when washed.

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
J...
The only thing I could spot is a hairline crack right in the middle of the mast track running across the track perpendicularly. Water seems to be coming out from there, I'm not 100% sure but if there's a place that could be problematic it's there... huge leverage against it when washed.

that does not sound to good, "water seems to be coming out of it" means it might have reached the core ...
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

... A plastic Tiga B&J board blew away the entire test fleet, including several race boards, in speed tests from WSMag ...

Oh yes, right! Polyethylene/Urethane-foam (Poly) boards are the fastest! But few know about it because they missed the WS Mag article.

Even more convincing? Antoine Albeau well kept secret are well camouflaged poly boards!!!!! Using those ultra-fast 30-40 pounds polys he has been blowing away everybody else on the race courses for twenty years! he is actually a slow sailor, but everybody else is on those ultra-light carbon/eps pieces of crap and cannot keep up with him.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after leaving it in the sun with vent screw shut, hunted for air leaks with soap and water... nothing, zero. Maybe problem is below the pads?

The board does feel heavy all around not in a particular spot.

So now the plan is to leave it drying out with vent opened for a few weeks and see if weight drops.

EDIT: Poked hole through the bottom and... wet! Water seems to also be sipping from beneath rear pad, jump landing side.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
isobars wrote:

... A plastic Tiga B&J board blew away the entire test fleet, including several race boards, in speed tests from WSMag ...

Oh yes, right! Polyethylene/Urethane-foam (Poly) boards are the fastest! But few know about it because they missed the WS Mag article.

It's been cited here MANY times, sometimes at length. Looks like you aren't paying attention to the mag OR the forum, yet you still aren't willing to check facts that oppose your beliefs.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The board does feel heavy all around not in a particular spot. So now the plan is to leave it drying out with vent opened for a few weeks and see if weight drops.

EDIT: Poked hole through the bottom and... wet! Water seems to also be sipping from beneath rear pad, jump landing side.

Water disperses very quickly, thoroughly, and permanently throughout an EPS core. It's time to start looking for a replacement.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
dvCali wrote:
isobars wrote:

It's been cited here MANY times, sometimes at length. Looks like you aren't paying attention to the mag OR the forum, yet you still aren't willing to check facts that oppose your beliefs.

It is you who does not pay attention! I agree with your wise words wholeheartedly. Yes! Antoine has been using Poly boards for twenty years and dominating the field with them! He even used a poly board to set the 53 knots and change windsurfing speed record!!!!

Only problem is that now (thanks to you, you nutty boy) the news are spreading. Racing sailors from all fields (Formula/PWA/Wave/Speed) are reading WS Mag and rushing to buy Poly boards (of which there is a huge, offering on the market, but you need a special hand shake to access).

So sad, I think Antoine days are over ... pretty soon everybody will be on poly and then ... Shocked

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

At least you found it ... what a bummer. You are probably are aware of it but here are some solutions for the problem: https://boardlady.com/waterextraction.htm but unfortunately it might be a lost battle ...
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a past user of poly boards, along with all their shortcomings, (I could go into detail - but life really is too short), it is one of the great myths that they were in any way superior to later hard outer shell sandwich construction boards.

In ideal conditions poly boards could sometimes about equal in speed a hard shell board, but there are no actual timed instances (that I've ever seen published) of a poly board ever winning a speed trial in which like fast hard shell boards were competing. (A poly board I owned -Surf Partner Dry - recorded 31 knots in a Swedish speed trial, but it didn't win. The one I owned self destructed after a year's use as the inner foam compacted, the flexi outer poly skin delaminated, and the shape of the hull warped and developed negative rocker at the rear end. )

I would be fascinated to actually see accurate speed figures recorded in this (mythical?) mag test, where a poly board (which one??) knocked the socks off even race boards!!!!! (But I won't hold my breath!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: