myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tuttle Box Repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out with a minimum repair. You may have gotten lucky and the higher density foam around the box may not have cracked. For reference I would accurately weigh the board before using it. If you notice a weight gain after use cover the box openings with clear plastic and place the board in the sun with the vent closed. Any water coming out of the board will condense on the plastic. Make sure the box surfaces are dry before covering. Eva’s website discusses this in more detail.
Alena

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not clear yet if "I got away with it".
I like the scientific approach to checking the results but do not see any way to weigh a 5 meter long board.
Also the sun went away to come back next June.
So will have to wait and see.
But the fin box looks nice and smooth and the fin fits super snug.
Thanks for all the advice
Alena
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your bathroom scale:
1. Weigh yourself.
2. Pick up your board and get on the scale weighing self and board.
3. Subtract #1 from #2.
You have the weight of your board.
fox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a lot of success finding leakage by spraying soapy water on the area and then using an exercise ball pump to put a mild amount of pressure through the vent, look for bubbles
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Take your bathroom scale:
1. Weigh yourself.
2. Pick up your board and get on the scale weighing self and board.
3. Subtract #1 from #2.
You have the weight of your board.

That's pretty inaccurate even with luggage. Good luck trying that with a 16 feet long board.
Alena

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I step on that scale it gives me a different reading even without the Serenity in my arms.
Besides I don't want to know what I weigh without the board (joke).
I will try the methods you mentioned.
If I fail will take her to a real doctor.
But the injured area looks like it never happened nice and smooth
Have a look what a beautiful creation she is.
Alena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rMyvBqWlyY
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I know you want to be done with it, and just sail, but honestly it should get at least a layer or two of glass outside of the box

Most surf Shops have one or two 'Ding repair" folks on speed dial, so check with your local. I bet <$100, prob 50 gets it done right

I don't know about weighing the board....If you don't know what you are going to do with the results, why bother? If you had a good weight before, then you could say " well I shipped in some water...but 4 oz of salt water could hurt that core...and that's hard to measure...You could get all techy with moisture sensors etc but wtf

The problem with the epoxy filler is that it will crack, and you will get water ingress.

That is a beautiful board...I remember looking at them when they came out....They are not going to make another one anytime soon, so you need to preserve it....Sort of like a 58 Thunderbird

I think I got the creeps when I saw the "Cup Holder"/ bolt molding, and it probably is very integrated there....the lateral cracks mean the box shifted

Couple layers of glass on the side ...easy peasy

Alena

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot

I don't mind the cost of repair at all I just do not trust a random person to do surgery on her. I don't think they have experience with such a board. I do not want to be stuck with botched surgery. My heart would bleed.
She was not in the water yet.

The Serenity is my most used and very beloved board.
As the wind is super funky around Boston she gets me sailing and having fun when nobody else does not even the foiling kites, not to speak of foiling windsurfers. Some times I sail it with a 10 meter sail and it goes fast in 8 knots. With the 70 cm fin (the thing that hit the rocks) she foils and is out of the water and becomes quite agile.

The cup holders are a joke there was never a cup in mine it stays plagued.
Have a look at this link. Starboard had it posted in the forums which they unfortunately took off line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0QrVORQYs

ALena
mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide not to replace the box now I would still accurately weigh the board so you will know in a year what the dry weight was. I believe that even if you have filled the cracks the load from a 70 cm fin could easily reopen them and allow the infusion of water.

If you decide not to weigh the board, covering the box in clear plastic as described on the Board Lady's web site will give you an indication if there is water evaporating out of the box. You may want to do this test before sailing the board. Chances are that you have successfully plugged the crack. Then repeat the same test after sailing the board a few times.

When I was referring to accurately weighing a board in my earlier post I wasn't thinking about using a run of the mill bathroom scale. I have a digital postal type scale with a maximum reading of 50 pounds. It seems to be very repeatable even if the weight is shifted a bit off of center. I have to raise up the board on a couple of 4X4 blocks in order to see the display. You zero the scale after the blocks are on it. Finding the balance point of the board is easily done with a piece of webbing. I now weigh all of my boards when they are brand new for a reference usually with dry straps and without the fin.

6 or 8 ounces of water could do permanent damage particularly if nothing is done to fix it. You will detect the weight gain far sooner with a scale then picking up the board and noticing it feels heavier.

One of my boards developed a small leak in the fin box which I did not notice for a while. I don't remember the weight gain because this when first I started weighing my boards. I routed out the fin box and then weighed it for reference. Then I stored the board standing up and moved it out in the sun when I could. It was the end of the season so I let it dry for about 2 or 3 months before replacing the box. I definitely could see a weight reduction over that period. The advantage to a fin box repair over a small deck crack is that the opening is rather large and the water has a reasonable chance of evaporating through the hole.

There must be someone on the east coast that is competent with repairs. As I mentioned in my earlier post you can either buy a Waterat Tuttle box or one of the reinforced deep Tuttle boxes through one of the foil companies. Just don't buy the Chinook version because a deep Tuttle fin will not fit. These boxes come reinforced with foam around them so one really only has to route out the old box and increase the hole size to fit the new box dimensions. Fiberglass cloth needs to be added over the box and onto the top and bottom surfaces but it doesn't have to extend very far and can easily be faired in.

Go Foils has a video in the tutorial section on their website of the installation of a foil box in a surfboard. Aside from cutting down the width of the box this is pretty much the same procedure that you would use on your board. I would think that anyone competent in boat repair could install your box after watching that video even if they have not done one previously.
Alena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much
Good idea with the blocks on the scale.
The rest sounds extremely hard. It would be easier if.... I did not also have to work and could focus on it.
What permanent damage happens with those few ounces of water?
Thanks
Alena
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: