myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Sky SUP ws edition and similar boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Fanatic Sky SUP ws edition and similar boards Reply with quote

Revisiting an inquiry into board platforms that can be used for multiple foil sports, since I saw this 2020 offering from Fanatic:

https://www.fanatic.com/sup/composite-boards/foil/sky-sup-foil-ws

6'11" with a step-tail, and it looks like the mast track is wildly close to the front foot in comparison with most ws foil boards. Seems like an ideal shape for sup foil downwinding and wing foiling, but maybe awkward for windsurfing?

The Naish Hover crossover seems to have a more normal mast track to front footstraps distance.

https://www.naishsails.com/product/hover-crossover-

Any experience with either of these boards or speculations about their performance prospects?

PS- I got to try WINGsurfing this weekend with my buddy's 5.0 Duotone wing. We used it on my 10'4 windsup first, then a 6'6 foil sup. Pretty easy on the first board, pretty hard on the second board. Low performance compared to foil windsurfing. When I wasn't taking a turn on buddy's wingading I was sailing circles around him with my 4.7 sail and foil-equipped formula board. Still, there's a lure to wing thing, and I like the idea of using a smaller board for my foil windsurfing that I could also use as a foil sup for downwinding or gentle waves.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Naish 122 since April.
Fine windfoiling, a bit more volume would be appreciated for light winds and 5 meter+ sails.
As SUP, kinda small for me, 155 lbs and age 70. My 9'6" x 80 is much better. I suspect the old Naish 122 to be closer to 116 liters, as I windsurf on 118 and 2 111 boards.
Naish is the only windfoil with full tail rocker, while having the flattest nose rocker. It's a bit short for fast paddling.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want front strap inserts positioned for typical windsurf stance. Also a proper mast track ideally. The mast position isn't that far out from the new slingshot and starboard stuff.

They are fitting a lot of volume into those dimensions. Curious if the step tail does what it says on the box (paging Exocet).
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most foil boards are really for wind foiling as most do it now: flat water, high speed, big sails.
These are for designed more for strapless WWF (Wave Wind Foil), where you stand more on top of the board/foil for a more surfy stand and use a much smaller sail with a bigger/thicker wing, slower speed, but more lift in waves and more turny.
It's a great looking board and converging towards what WWF boards are doing (see Kalama's Gofoil Supfoil for an extreme example).
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good example here from one of the master at WWF

https://www.facebook.com/SOwindsurfer/photos/pcb.703504160061903/703502903395362/?type=3&theater
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have more time on my 2019 Naish 120 Crossover paired with a 2020 1250 Naish front wing, big thumbs up ! Very happy with the control, turning. Mind you, I've only used it windsurf foiling, not SUP or SUP foil, but I had a blast the other day on some ferry boat swell out at Kalmus, riding it in. Sent you a PM as well James.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Fanatic page for the Sky SUP, and a few things jump out. The image shows a single point mast mount, but the text talks about a mast track. Big difference since single point mounts tend to come up easily, and give no room for adjustments which are more important for foiling than for wave SUP.

A bit further down the page, the background picture for "Sky SUP Foil WS Features" shows a 4-fin wave board.

The construction seems to be SUP-typical: just glass over EPS, not a sandwich like windsurfing boards usually are. There are bamboo reinforcements under that "stance" area, but I'd be concerned about the nose. It would be a bit easier to damage through to the core.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I looked at the Fanatic page for the Sky SUP, and a few things jump out. The image shows a single point mast mount, but the text talks about a mast track. Big difference since single point mounts tend to come up easily, and give no room for adjustments which are more important for foiling than for wave SUP.

Their page is a bit jumbled, but it seems they'll have 3 sizes of sky sup, and only the largest will have an actual mast track. But it does have a mast track, not a single point attachment. The step tail and mast base position look similar to those on the reef warrior WWF boards that fathomfathom linked to, so I think he's right about that "convergent evolution" of design for small sail, maneuver-oriented, wave-oriented foil ws boards.

The Naish hover crossover looks like the only board in this category that I could possibly get at this time that would work with my slingshot foil and stuff. One think I wonder about is how much it's rockered surf-sup tail affects it's take-off threshold and wind requirements as compared with a flatter or stepped tail board. wsmtbskate?

wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm not the most efficient windsurfer and I still need to refine my foil pumping technique. The board definitely has more rocker on the tail than my freestyle and FSW board. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to compare the Naish Xover to other foil boards and still haven't put the powerplate on my freestyle board to compare (100 liter Skate).

That said, at the ABK camp, I was having a hard time getting up on a foil with my 6.3 freestyle sail. Derek (one of the instructors, who apparently is also the gear guy who has tested all sorts of equipment for various magazines) gave the board a try. He is probably at least 60 # heavier than I am, and the 120 liter was just holding him up, but he was able to pump onto a foil with relative ease. Afterwards, he commented that it did not seem slow to foil up but did need a little technique - ie pumping both feet out, then front foot in strap, pump, then rear in strap. If you are able to get in touch with him, he will definitely have a more broad perspective than I would.

Not sure if he is on this forum. But I think boardsurfr is seeing him at Hatteras ABK ?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naish Hover 122 has wave board tail rocker with flat nose and might truly be 116 liters.
Pumps onto plane then foil as early as any other board near it's size, but doesn't compare to 90 wide or Formula sized boards in light breeze.
Size max might only be 6.6 meter sails, due to 73 width and low volume.
Now compare 120 Crossover to Hover and extrapolate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: