myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Nitinat in British Columbia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteV87

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Lake Nitinat in British Columbia Reply with quote

I'm visiting Vancouver Island this week and have my gear with me. Windguru and weather channel show very low wind at Nitinat. I know these forecasts don't always reflect reality, in my local spot I can always add 5mph to what the forecast says, and in places like Kanaha in Maui the rental shop also applied a formula to the forecast to get closer to the forecast. Does anyone know a better source of forecast? Should I go regardless? Trying to figure out if there will be wind before I drive 4 hours from Victoria.

Thanks!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You picked a crappy week for wind, it's been cranking up until today but the cold moist air has it shut down for a few days.

Depending on the gear you've brought you might have success closer to Victoria but not likely to be epic by any means.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old ws bud from 1990 said Nimpkish almost always blows 25 days in prime August-Sept.
PeteV87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I camped there last night. The lake looks a glass mirror, zero wind. Even my longboard with 9.2m would be a waste of time. It's ok, it comes with this sport.

After checking out Tofino and other tourist spots here on the island, I am headed to Squamish. Forecast looks dead over there too lol.
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Actually Squamish had great winds today and the IW. forecast was right on target. See graph and forecast below. We are still learning to forecast this region so don't expect this type of accuracy all the time.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

ZZ5804A3C1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.46 KB
 Viewed:  21716 Time(s)

ZZ5804A3C1.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have mentioned... from first reports it looks like our sensor reads about 4 knots higher than the wind on the water.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: