myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Convert your windsurf board to a foil with the PowerPlate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona CarbOne foiling on a 5.0 at Candlestick in 20 mph winds using the powerbox powerplate. You could probably foil a door as long as the foil is attached securely Laughing

longboard foiling at the Stick.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  774.29 KB
 Viewed:  17031 Time(s)

longboard foiling at the Stick.jpg

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
traditional power box pot has a barrel nut placed in such a manner that if one runs aground hard or encounters a large obstacle, the barrel nut tears away and one loses the fin, and not breaking the board.

i would recommend using a very disposable board for foiling endeavors with this system. the risk of running aground hard coupled with the threaded pot instead of barrel nut increases the odds of buckling or shearing the board.

that said. great adaptation to this "new" twist to windsurfing. best use of foils is in very deep venues. too many spots close to me are too shallow, and i would rather wave sail....

John, you may recall way, way back in the 1980s finboxes blew regularly. One solution from the fin companies was to supply a plastic fin screw, the idea being that the bolt would strip and release the fin to save the fin and the fin box. I did see it work and fail; fins with bolt holes in the front loved the screw. Not so much with the screw in the back.

Mounting the system using a nylon bolt would provide additional protection to the board. To wit, http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/metricphillipsflatmachinez.html

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is foiling hard?
Saw a couple of ws buds, intermediates on 1st day, plane for 1+mile reaches and crash when the board rose too high, and they sheeted in more and leaned back harder. I had warned them.
By their 4th too high crash, they became more conservative and just planed the board, barely rising to foil for maybe 50' at a time. Most managed multiple reaches and could jibe with the board in slog mode. Some stayed out for over an hour, doing at least 20 reaches of over a mile planing, and foiling for short spurts multiple times each reach. They were stoked, none managing a foiling jibe.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..those buds do ride shortboards, mostly 96 to 120 liters, can use footstraps, and make 80% jibes.
Their foiling sessions have been somewhat similar to their windsurf sessions, all having windsurfed from 3-8 years. Watching from shore, the standout difference is entry speed on jibes while boatspeed seems similar.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... good reports, with details that makes sense. I can relate to a lot of that as well.
For me, so far, it's so fun to fly a couple feet off the water, just doing a beam reach.
Turning around is easy cause most everyone is on a big shortboard... one that you can easily uphaul and slog around tacking or jibing very slowly. So, I just fly back down to the water. Then do a slow static tack or jibe... then slowly get up to flying speed again, and fly away !!

PS - The big foil hanging down off the tail of your board, makes a slow speed turn around, even more stable... the "big shortboard" doesn't wiggle around as much.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well darn it St. G., it took me freak'n years to get good at windsurfing.
I could be dead before I get good at windfoiling ;*) ;*)
I'm gonna go hang out on the Cali coast where it's way easier to
become a foil master quickly ;*) . Or, maybe just go get my Kite gear
out of storage..........nah.

-Craig

gregnw44 wrote:
Yes Craig, even you will be able to windfoil, haha!

All the modern windfoils since 2016... are fairly easy to start learning on.
And I define easy as this -
"It takes about the same length of time... for a really experienced windsurfer to get short flights on a foil across the water... as the time it takes a brand new person to to sail a short distance on a windsurfer, across the water."
(As long as the wind conditions are appropriate for each endeavor.)
And I'm talking about the same person, in both cases. The only difference is "that person" is a total rookie in one case... and a very experienced windsurfer in the other case.
Of course in both cases "that person" will be a novice for quite a while.

Anyway, I just thought this up, haha!
And I might be wrong, and or, I might need to adjust the wording a bit. But people ask, what it's like to start figuring out the windfoil. And I think relating it, to when they started with windsurfing, might be a good comparison Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cannot make a full foilng jibe. Either the board speeds past the wind..I fall backwards..the board fails to stay under my feet, or the entire rig slows down off the foil so I have to plane then slog. Foiling since Feb..
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Kona CarbOne foiling on a 5.0 at Candlestick in 20 mph winds using the powerbox powerplate. You could probably foil a door as long as the foil is attached securely Laughing

Bert - This is AWESOME !!!
I remember you saying it before... but to see a pic is even better, haha!
Can you describe the details, how you got to putting a modern foil onto a longboard?
And was it kinda like foiling a big shortboard, or not?
I imagine you set the CarbOne mast track all the way back?
How windy was it... and what size sail did you use (and what's your weight) ???

Thanks Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - was 20 mph wind and 5m sail Smile
bert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
I foiled the Kona 4 times last year on a whim just to see if it could be done. I used a 24 inch mast so as to not overstress the box. The big board actually foils nicely and turning it was a whole lot easier. I weigh 170 lbs, have been a boardhead since 1984 and look just like my avatar Smile

Kona foiling 2017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.75 KB
 Viewed:  16911 Time(s)

Kona foiling 2017.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: