myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Convert your windsurf board to a foil with the PowerPlate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, please explain your point better.
Because at first you implied that it's easier (a whole lot easier) for an around experienced windsurfer, to learn to fly windfoil board... than it is for that same person to learn to sail a formula board.
But... I want people thinking about getting into windfoiling, to have another perspective.

Now you're saying, after 50 sessions... I'm not sure what you mean by that (sorry, my bad).

In any case... an all round experienced windsurfer would be VERY good on a formula, if they had 50 sessions of "10-20 mph wind days" to practice. Most would NOT win races, but they could be VERY good. And a rare prodigy might even win a race.
And that same guy would also be very good at flying a windfoil after 50 sessions practicing in 10-20 mph wind. And again, most would not win races. Although again, a rare prodigy might win a race after that much consistent practice.

Anyway the advice given here, is probably more helpful, if it's for the average dude... not some rare athletic prodigy.

(I apologize if I misunderstood.)

gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're talking about Xavier F and Bruce P.
Yes... I know that those two windsurfer's (who are among the top 3% of all round best, most experienced US windsurfers)... they can practice on a windfoil a bunch... and then go out and beat many other very good sailors on regular windsurf gear.
HOWEVER, if those 2 were "Only Good" at raceboard and wave and slalom and freestyle windsurfing. And then you gave each a formula board. They would get so good on a formula board in 25 times, they'd beat most other regional formula racers.
Anyway, most advice here is more helpful if it's tailored to average recreational guys, not the rare athletic prodigy.
And again, sorry if I misunderstood. Please explain your point more fully. Thanks Smile

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's only talk about the lowest common denominator..only.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Ok, let's only talk about the lowest common denominator..only.

Most people writing in here have not been sailing as long as you and me. Telling them what worked for Xavier, is not helpful.
It's like saying, "Buy these Nike Air Jordan shoes, and you'll play basketball like Michael Jordan."
"Antoine uses this sail brand... so buy this, and your jibes will get better."
Puh-lease!!

All I'm suggesting is explain what you're saying more fully. And give real-world advice for regular folks. Or better, give a range of advice, that has worked for experts, and say who they are... and what has worked for average folks... like us "lowest common denominator" type of people (geez, how condescending).

Conclusion - Xavier would not say that an experienced windsurfer, could learn to fly a windfoil board around a course in less "learning and practice time"... then he could learn to sail a formula board around a course... if it was blowing 15 in both cases.

brand_adam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Greg,

I totally agree with you. If foiling was easy they'd call it windsurfing Laughing
Back to the topic regarding the powerplate, I've foiled the Slingshot close to a hundred sessions here in the SF Bay since getting it last June. About 25 sessions have been using three different powerbox boards, 20 on the 110L RRD Firemove (75 cm), 2 on a 68 cm wide slalom board, and 4 on the Kona CarbOne longboard. No damage other than the slight denting on the bottom along the flange edge of the powerplate on the Firemove. In the higher winds or big chop I generally use my JP 135 foil board with the tall foil.

You've sold me, thanks Bert!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. At least 15 of my friends who started windsurfing were using -95 liter boards..only..by their 6th week and most were jibing outside the surf at Waddel Creek without falling.
Yes, some people I know never learned to ride a 160 liter board.
Which shall we focus on?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Ok. At least 15 of my friends who started windsurfing were using -95 liter boards..only..by their 6th week and most were jibing outside the surf at Waddel Creek without falling.
Yes, some people I know never learned to ride a 160 liter board.
Which shall we focus on?

Haha, right... I knew a few people back in the day, like that too. But those folks weren't the norm.

So anyway, thanks for some info about your athletic friend's... but how about a bit more pertinent info.
Their weight? Were they mostly 130-175... or mostly 180-225?
And were many of them also surfers?
Cause I could see some very athletic, normal to lighter weight guys, who have surfing experience... able to do what you said (and maybe a rare heavyweight).
And they're used to sailing and surfing "downhill"... having waves to get planing.

So take them to inland flat water and 15 mph wind. And I stand by what I said - those guys could get more skilled on a formula board, sailing back and forth with a 9m sail, faster. Than they could get the same skills, flying on a windfoil. No questions they'd learn to foil as fast as anyone (certainly faster than me). I'm just saying they'd get "even more" skills, if they spent the same time on a formula board.
Ok, this is cool windfoil chatter... but, back to Powerplates Smile

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 148lbs., my first Formula race on 2001, after 3 days on a 8 meter sail was at CrissyFields. I used a 9.2 Simmer 4 cam in winds starting at around 12-20, then going up to 20-30 by the 3rd start and more on the 4th, which I DNS'ed. I did horribly, allowing 8 guys to pass n me each race, starting top 4 every race. One guy, Rob, passes me every race and one race 3 times..after he fell. Imagine sailing a 95cm board with a 9 meter sail when the freesailors were using 4.2-4.7's.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the advice here, Craig is look'n for a foil for light wind. I figure to have that mastered in about 2 hours ;*).

-Craig

p.s. it'll be a surfy foil designed for early foilage.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Craig, even you will be able to windfoil, haha!

Here's something I just thought up yesterday, regarding "how hard is it to start learning to windfoil"?

All the modern windfoils since 2016... are fairly easy to start learning on.
And I define easy as this -
"It takes about the same length of time... for a really experienced windsurfer to get short flights on a foil across the water... as the time it takes a brand new person to to sail a short distance on a windsurfer, across the water."
(As long as the wind conditions are appropriate for each endeavor.)
And I'm talking about the same person, in both cases. The only difference is "that person" is a total rookie in one case... and a very experienced windsurfer in the other case.
Of course in both cases "that person" will be a novice for quite a while.

Anyway, I just thought this up, haha!
And I might be wrong, and or, I might need to adjust the wording a bit. But people ask, what it's like to start figuring out the windfoil. And I think relating it, to when they started with windsurfing, might be a good comparison Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: