myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Convert your windsurf board to a foil with the PowerPlate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Not enough sample size, Pp now on about 10 days with Formula board, 4 with freeride, and 1 with power box 95 liter fsw. No problems on boards or twisting of Pp.

Thanks Dlee, this is exactly what I'm interested in knowing! Are you running a short mast on your powerbox? If so how is that? I am a kitefoiler that recently went down to a 60cm short mast for all the low tides at my ktie spot and I really like it. Also what foil are you using with your FSW?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naish with 70cm. To my thinking, foil is only for winds lighter than 15 mph, so no chop to worry about.
Foiling with the board's tail on the water is smooth and safe.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Naish with 70cm. To my thinking, foil is only for winds lighter than 15 mph, so no chop to worry about.
Foiling with the board's tail on the water is smooth and safe.

I agree that Naish looks perfect for light wind. Do you find your FSW's volume is alright for when you are slogging in the lightwind before getting up on the foil?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 165 lbs., slogging in 3 mph breeze is easy, especially with a foil attached compared to a normal 30 cm fin.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of wish they would skip the need for the 4-bolt kite flange and make a direct fit to the mast. Seems like a lot of drag and places for corrosion to hide.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a couple different plate systems for kiting one with a rubber mat between the plate, the plate and pan head bolts all protruding from the bottom. There was likely drag from it all when I was on the surface, but none was noticeable to me. The PowerPlate will certainly add even more, but I'm not concerned about it, I do have concerns about durability of the system though...
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every board has a different finbox placement and footstrap and mastbase placement so some adjustability is warranted.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Sorry. A novice sailor would agree with you.
An expert Formula sailor would agree with me, after he spends the 3 months required to learn to foil.
When learning either, it's very difficult.

(From back on page 6)
I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread about Powerplate's and windfoiling, but novice windfoiler's are probably reading this, regarding if windfoiling is easy to learn... so I want to be sure they get all perspectives Smile

dllee - I don't know what your definition of "leaning to foil" is. Since all things are life-long learning experiences. Even top pros in any endeavor are always practicing and learning new things.
In any case, "all experienced windsurfers" are the same (or similar) to your Formula friend. We are all beginner's again, when trying out this new foiling version of windsurfing. Flying along, up off the water on a wing, is VERY different than any style of regular windsurfing. And all experienced windsurfer's whether they're experts at - raceboard, formula, wave sailing, freestyle, slalom racing, whatever... they will all be novices again when trying windfoiling.

Of course, some people will pick it up quicker due to many factors such as - steady wind conditions, warm comfy sailing conditions, innate ability to risk, fitness and endurance, some are quicker learners and some are slower processors, technical types, natural athletes, past windsurfing experience... and many more. But even Robby and Bjorn were complete beginner's at foiling when they started, even though they're world cup pros at every other type of windsurfing.

Back to the comparison of... beginning to learn windfoiling vs. beginning to learn how to sail a formula board. It's not even close.
I am NOT saying an experienced windsurfer who has never sailed FW before, could go out and win a FW race (obviously). In fact, if it was WINDY they'd even have a tough time sailing a FW race course! But I am saying, that to casual observers on the beach, watching an experienced windsurfer out sailing a FW (for the first time) in 15 mph wind, back and forth... the observers would say, "that guy looks decent".
Contrast that, to an experienced windsurfer on a windfoil for the first time. The observer on the beach would say, "that guy is a beginner".
And after 2 days of practice in steady 15 mph wind, a very experienced all round windsurfer will be free-sailing up and down wind on a FW and making all jibes without getting wet (and maybe even planing through some). And casual observers will think he looks like a pro.
Contrast that, to the very experienced all round windsurfer after 2 days of practice windfoiling. It's unlikely he'll look like a pro and he won't be able to do all the same skills as the example above.

My 2 cents Smile

Last edited by gregnw44 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
bert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I totally agree with you. If foiling was easy they'd call it windsurfing Laughing
Back to the topic regarding the powerplate, I've foiled the Slingshot close to a hundred sessions here in the SF Bay since getting it last June. About 25 sessions have been using three different powerbox boards, 20 on the 110L RRD Firemove (75 cm), 2 on a 68 cm wide slalom board, and 4 on the Kona CarbOne longboard. No damage other than the slight denting on the bottom along the flange edge of the powerplate on the Firemove. In the higher winds or big chop I generally use my JP 135 foil board with the tall foil.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing counts after 2 days. Around 50, it shows.
You could have put Stephen Hawkins on a foilboard 5 year's ago and I would have told you he would not be good.
Let's NOT always start at the lowest denominator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: