myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wet Suit Types Make a Difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekmv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

Newbie here with a potentially stupid question...

Gotta get a wet suit. Do I need to get a Wind Surfing wet suit or can I get a Surfing wet suit and be OK?

Whats the difference?

Any Advice on getting one?

Thanks!
pedram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

Windsurfing wetsuits usually have more flexibility in the arms. While surfing you spend most of your time paddling. Windsurfing you spend most of your time with your arms extended in front of you. Therefore windsurfing wetsuits are cut and shaped to accomodate the different motion. But for the most part they are the same.

My experience has been Neilpryde wetsuits are comfortable but not as durable as ONeill.
kencarp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

Rip Curl makes a smooth- skin wetsuit thats not only warm but you feel naked when sailing or surfing. These suits are a bit pricey but well worth the extra bucks. I sail or surf nearly everyday and I can get about two full seasons out of these suits. These suits are surfing suits and you can get them at any surf shop. Keep sailing and stay toasty! K.P.
harris52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

You can also check out Pro Motion in the gorge. Ive had them send me 3 wetsuits so I could try on the ones I thought I might like and then send the other 2 back. I never would have thought that wetsuits were very sport specific, but listening to their salesman and trying on their wetsuits makes me believe theyve spent a lot of time thinking about it. Way better than the Niel Pryde suits Ive bought. Its just been a great shop to both me and my fiance, in both talking to them and the suits weve bought from them.

gh
rickp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

Think windsurfing wetsuits also have bigger forearms than surfing - to minimize cramping. Personally cut the seams in my surfing wetsuit to fix the problem. rick p
rickp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

Also select the thickness and material wisely. Lots of difference between 2/1 mm and 4/3 mm. Also new super stretchy material in the last few years. Good luck.
ChetJet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:24 am    Post subject: RE: Wet Suit Types Make a Difference? Reply with quote

stay away from scuba suits. They have no/low rubber, and so the wind goes thru the neoprene (even the thick ones) when your out of the water, and you get colder than with windsurf specific suits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: