myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
5/4 wetsuit advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: 5/4 wetsuit advice Reply with quote

Looking to pick one of these up. But I want the warmest one. Does no good to call the place and ask because they don't use them; they just sell them.

Anyone here have or had any of these? I can't get enough info from pictures or descriptions:

https://wetsuitwearhouse.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=554c98644cf1338db7cbcabc3&id=afc5e41ce7&e=5a2cfa9138
ss59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warmest suit will be the one that fits you best - you need to find somewhere to try them on
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ss59 said, but if you can't try them on, order 3 suits (same suit) in the size you think best plus one more on each side of the size chart. One will likely fit right, then send the other two back.

Go to the manufacturer's web site for sizing info. on the suit you like best.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an O'Neill Mutant 5/4 last season. I've only worn it a couple times so far but so far I like it a lot. I bought it to replace a Hurley 5/3 I bought second hand from Craigslist. The Hurley always fit a bit to big. The Hurley was also very heavy and very restrictive, especially around the neck and face area. It also had a permanently attached hood which I did not like. The O'Neil Mutant uses a newer lightweight neoprene. The lighter neoprene is much easier to get in and out of and doesn't seem to absorb water much. 5/4's are often chest zip and can be a chore to put on. The Mutant is much easier to get in and out of because the neoprene is nice and flexible. It fits well and is actually comfortable to wear. It feels more like a 4/3 or even 3/2 as comfort goes. But nice and warm like a 5/4 should be. The Mutant also comes with a removable hood that zips on to the chest zipper. Everyone is different but so far the O'Neill Mutant 5/4 has been the correct choice for me. Not the cheapest suit but it is a 5/4 and 5/4s are more expensive to begin with.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this will be used for cold weather/water sailing, get one with the hood attached. Much warmer than separate hood and you can always slide the hood off if you're hot. Read descriptions carefully to make sure the suit you like has fully taped and glued seams to prevent water entry - cheaper suits generally don't always offer this. Suits with back zippers are easiest to get on/off but water will enter through the back zipper more so than a chest zipper. the chest type zipper is usually more water tight and therefore warmer. But the chest zip entry/exit can be a struggle.

Rob
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
Assuming this will be used for cold weather/water sailing, get one with the hood attached. Much warmer than separate hood and you can always slide the hood off if you're hot.

Rob

The hood for the Mutant is removable but designed specifically for the suit. It's not like those additional hoods you can buy as an accessory. When the hood is attached it is very much part of the suit. It looks and functions like a permanently attached hood.

Sliding a hood off may work for some. For others the tightest part of the entire suit is the neck area. Sliding a permanently attached hood off does not work. You make the tightest part of the suit even tighter and potentially suffocate or blackout. I tried slipping a hood off that way on my previous Hurley and it was seriously uncomfortable. I could feel the lack of circulation to my head! And that was on a suit that was slightly big! I can't image trying this on a smaller suit. Also, if a hood is loose enough that you can comfortably slip it off and wear it that way it's probably not keeping you as warm as is could anyway.

Mutants are triple glued glued.

My 3cents.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPX Zealot 6/4. Fully lined. Easy to get on and off and zip up. Attached hood. My favorite.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ianovative Suits are the very best for keeping your hands warm. I've had mine for 4 years and I've very much enjoyed the hand warming system. That always seemed to be the limiting factor for wet suits, gloves always killed the grip. They're easy to get in and out of and it is a nice change to have warm hands in 38 Degree weather.

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: