myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote Pt Rescue - thanks guys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobackhair

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Coyote Pt Rescue - thanks guys Reply with quote

After doing this sport for a long time, never been completely separated from both board and rig.

I was at the pole just before the airport runways when I fell backward and the sail and board fell just right so it drifted faster than I could swim. Just couldn't catch the board or sail. This turned in to a several mile swim, in the bay chasing my board which just got further away.

Swam/ drifted down about 1.5 miles to main windsurf area, finally go the attention of beginner kiter who didn't see me until I was about 20 feet away. Ok after 1.5 hours so far, there was going to be a happy outcome. Another windsurfer found my gear, but it had drifted so far, there was no coming back.

Honestly this is the closest I've been to a very unpleasant outcome!

Fortunately he had a radio and managed to send out a distress call and after another 45 minutes of swimming and once couple in a J32 picked me up. We sailed down to my gear and other rescuer and got in the water and sailed bak up to coyote.

time to get a radio...
Chris
bert

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Coyote Pt. rescue Reply with quote

Chris,
Glad that someone found you..the bay is vast and we sometimes forget about the risk factor involved if we sail far from shore. Your incident is a good wake up call. Sounds like you launched from Embassy.

bert
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those really windy days, the board and sail can cartwheel away from you, especially when the sail catches wind over big chop.
Glad to hear you made it back ok Chris!
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are ok.
Coyote can be scary, heck anywhere on the peninsula can be scary.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ending! We all need to watch out for our Amigos and others on the water.
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am very glad you are ok, and i am even more impressed with your open water swimming skills. i am thinking you may win a swim race if you are in good enough shape to swim several miles in wind and chop. nothing like adrenaline and fear to fuel the body!

spring is a good time to stock up on safety gear. we have strobe lights, dakine safety packs, and aqua radio packs in the coyote shop.

jane/boardsports

--
Boardsports California
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote Pt Rescue - thanks guys Reply with quote

ops

Last edited by dvCali on Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
bert

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Coyote rescue Reply with quote

Years back I similar board runaway situation like Chris, also at Coyote. I caught the board only after a frenetic 50 yard swim and I remember being both very winded and scared. Afterwards I started to sail with a surf leash attached to the mast base. Gave up on the idea after getting my feet tangled with the leash on jibes and tacks.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Coyote Pt Rescue - thanks guys Reply with quote

Congratulations about your swimming to the side, that's quite an elaborate journey! 1.5 hours drifting, then another windsurfer sees your gear, sends out a distress call, and then a sailboat picks you up after another 45' in the water, and then you all go pick up the gear somewhere in the middle of the Bay, and you sail it back. Phew! That's a long day!

I am not sure why the windsurfer did not rescue you instead of chasing your equipment, but you were indeed lucky. Yes, a radio at Coyote, Treasure or Crissy in a Ebb is a good idea. I have an ICOM IC-M72 and I stopped wearing it out of laziness but it is probably not the smartest thing to do ... Question

PS love the sale pitch from boardsport! a whissle and a flare might be a good thing to have in the water ... but much better than an aqua pack is indeed getting a VHF Radio! https://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios

Last edited by dvCali on Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are OK. Sounds like a heck of an ordeal.

So how exactly do you use your radio to call the coast guard in this situation? This is a stupid question but what exactly do you say to get their attention and state location?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: