myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad for pushing this thread in the right direction. We finally got to the bottom of it! Your problem is that you are sailing an oversized equipment for your weight. You are 30lb lighter then me and you are wrestling with approximately the same size kit Im using on lighter days-110 AtomIQ and 7.5 Retro and I live and sail in northern Illinois where it is below average at best windwise. I know what you are experiencing, because I've been there too. I had my fair share of oversized equipment -in my case 136/9.0 /the worst time in my windsurfing "career "/. I even used the same seat harness like yours-DaKine XT , wearing it in the picture below.
Sooner or later you will realize that with better planing technique you will achieve almost the same planing threshold with a smaller kit -I'd recommend you a 105 Freemove board and a sail no bigger then 6.5. Believe me your body will be greatfull for that. My elbows still make noises when I do push-ups, almost 3 years after getting rid of the monstrosities. If you keep focusing on size and not technique youll kill your back completely and one day even a seat harness won't be enough, youll need an exoskeleton or something.
For some reason I DO care how people feel and look-its all connected and influences your overall wellbeing, your mojo if you like. But after all it's your own personal choice-take it or leave it.

IMG_0137.JPG
 Description:
NOT missing the monsters-SS 136 and Retro 9.0 or the seat harness
 Filesize:  129.9 KB
 Viewed:  13241 Time(s)

IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited by adywind on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have any harness or hat you want. What a person can do on the water is what matters. Actual cool sailors are in limited supply.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I am captured having trouble unhooking /because of the low seat harness hook ... an easier to unhook waist harness wouldn't have made me lift my torso to the extent of disturbing the board in this brutal manner.

Sounds like operator and/or setup error, because with any harness (once boom height, line length, etc. are adjusted properly), it takes about an inch of line drop to unhook.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
You can have any harness or hat you want.

Good point. In an unscientific study of non-windsurfers apparently the photo above was the "coolest" looking photo to my students. The hat significantly raised the dork factor in the other photos. Laughing

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations coachg! You are officially the DOUCHEBAG champion of this forum. Unlike you I'm actually trying to help the OP.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
. Unlike you I'm actually trying to help the OP.

The OP posted waist harness gives him severe back pain thus he switched to seat harness. You suggest he ignores the pain & use a waist harness because it looks "cooler." It is better to be in pain & look cool than be out of pain and not look cool. Got it. Rolling Eyes

You may want to read the 7th post from the top here:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32254&start=20

and then decide if you are really trying to help the OP.

If you are truly trying to help the OP you have a funny way of showing it.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all torso (6' with 30" inseam and arms to match) currently using an XT seat. There are aspects of it I like and others I don't. I seem to need to run my boom height on the lower side (shoulder on big kit, maybe 3" lower in small) in order to be comfortable unhooking and sometimes I can't get out quickly. I'd like to try a waist but really don't want to just buy one to find I don't like it. Also I'm a wimp and wear a PFD which has caused issues with a waist but is fine with the seat.

Enough about me:
adywind may be somewhat abrasive but I wonder if he has the right concept. Maybe there is something wrong in the OPs technique or setup that is causing the waist harness to hurt his back. I know I can get away with a very slumped body position using the seat which I think would just pull the waist up to my chest.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ady I can guarantee you that I could place very high, near the top I'm sure, in almost any goofy windsurfing hat contest. How cool is that!? Cool
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
ady I can guarantee you that I could place very high, near the top I'm sure, in almost any goofy windsurfing hat contest. How cool is that!? Cool

Okay, but where would you rank among kiters? Laughing

IMG_0463.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.07 KB
 Viewed:  13095 Time(s)

IMG_0463.JPG

Last edited by Arrgh on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:

You score pretty high in the douchebag contest too, but you can't beat coachg. You've got to try harder Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: