myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Euro Pin vs. US Mast Base systems?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg, an RDM US cup extension can't be used without the collar.

CHSCXTUS_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.23 KB
 Viewed:  19940 Time(s)

CHSCXTUS_2.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I missed the part where we were talking only about RDMs. I thought it was US vs. Euro pins. All my RDMs are Euro. All my SDM's are US.

Coachg
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our gear is stored next to the sea. The last of our guys using a euro pin quit when the second one snapped off from point corrosion at the base. When one of the pins breaks in the same way on a us base you can still sail as usual .
When both break the setup easily gets you home. On a Euro pin your rig comes in two. We sail out in the blue with no rescue available. A euro pin might have killed us,we all dumped them.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down last night again on a 50/50 whim hoping to get back on the horse. The wind didn't materialize, but the reef did becoming exposed on the negative tide. I few of us decided to go for a stroll to see exactly what we are riding over and where the hazards lie.

In a rare act of giving back, the reef offered up a pristine streamlined red line aluminum mast extension with US base two pin system! The reef has spoken, I am ditching carbon and staying with the US system. It was just sitting there in one of the crevices along the reef. No corrosion. No broken mast nearby. No uni attached. Just the part, alone, waiting. Its exactly what I needed. Magic!
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Gerritt,

Congratulations on your find!

The sea taketh away.....and the sea giveth.
ringe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: us base with thick tendon Reply with quote

I use a single bolt us universal & carbon ext.
Never had a problem .. I replace universal about every 2 years. Cool
SPQR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use both US and Euro. I like both Chinook and Streamline, but with Ezzy sails the Streamlined locking latch is hard to reach and engage or disengage on the Euro without undoing the strap at the bottom of the Ezzy sail. So when sailing my Naish sails I'm more inclined to use the Streamline Euro as the latch is easier to reach, but with my Ezzy sails Chinook US or Euro pin. The only extension I have had fail was a Windsurfing Hawaii years ago. I guess I'm kind of partial to Streamlined because I remember using them when they first came out, with no adjustment!!! Still fun was had by all!!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR wrote:
I still use both US and Euro. I like both Chinook and Streamline, but with Ezzy sails the Streamlined locking latch is hard to reach and engage or disengage on the Euro without undoing the strap at the bottom of the Ezzy sail. So when sailing my Naish sails I'm more inclined to use the Streamline Euro as the latch is easier to reach, but with my Ezzy sails Chinook US or Euro pin. The only extension I have had fail was a Windsurfing Hawaii years ago. I guess I'm kind of partial to Streamlined because I remember using them when they first came out, with no adjustment!!! Still fun was had by all!!

One nice RDM Euro Pin extension for use with Ezzy Sails is the North Uni.XT

North Sails Uni.XT

It has a ridge on the back to keep the tack strap seated below the release button. It has a unique pulley alignment that lets you rig sail 6:1 standard threading or 4:1 loop and go threading. With Ezzy Sails, you'd have to convert the sail pulley to D-Ring to do loop and go. Here's a picture of the base cleat

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcevans wrote:
I've been using euro pin for a decade in the surf. I prefer the chinook u/j assy b/c of the solid stainless steel ends w/ a streamlined extension b/c it has a safety lock. I had a chinook extension unexpectedly release once while holding the mast tip down under a wave - one time too many. The safety lock on the streamlined effectively makes an unwanted release impossible

This. Interesting tip on the Streamlined extensions, I'll try one next time I need to replace an extension.

Not all Euro pin product's created equal though. Anything that's not one piece metal mold like Chinook's will eventually unravel or the pin sheers off (seen both). Tendons on the Chinook UJ are also straightforward to replace and the screws they've been using in the past don't rust/stick.

Somewhat OT. Only caution is that (all?) brands seem to be changing contract manufacturers on accessories somewhat frequently now? Just my impression. I've received substandard stuff from Chinook over the last coupe years. This WRT the poly-carbonate molding process (I figure) that's left that burned smell that hardly dissipates over time. Not a material defect really but makes you wonder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: