myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Euro Pin vs. US Mast Base systems?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Euro Pin vs. US Mast Base systems? Reply with quote

I would like feedback on the merits of Euro Pin vs. US Mast base connection systems. Which is stronger, easier to deal with around sand, preforms better. Please sound off.

Thanks
poussin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerrit

I switched to a euro pin a few years ago for the ease and simplicity of connecting and disconnecting it. I change it every other year for safety although
I've never had a problem. I know some sailors who change it every year no questions asked.
Very positive connection and easier to remove when done sailing.
Try one!

Greg
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using the 2 pin system since '88, haven't had any failures that led to paddles, swims, or any real problem. Did have single side pins break, and of course, uni joint breakages, and one slug that I tightened way too hard.
I don't change them at any schedule, and all last longer than one season.
The pin/aluminum interface is as good and anything, and even surfsailing for several years, never had a problem.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had trouble confirming the engaging click sound with a euro pin if the break is noisy. It is easy to feel the us pins engaging correctly. No big deal n a lake but big surf.....
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the 2 pin universals just don't hold up well over time. I had recurring problems breaking off pins, and the plastic 2 pin cups would always get worn and become very wobbly. I've had no problems with the Euro-pin universals. They're pretty bullitproof. Lastly, I've had no problems with sand getting caught in Euro-pin mast extension, but I have to admit that I'm pretty fussy about keeping everything free of dirt and sand.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Been using the 2 pin system since '88, haven't had any failures that led to paddles, swims, or any real problem. Did have single side pins break, and of course, uni joint breakages, and one slug that I tightened way too hard.
I don't change them at any schedule, and all last longer than one season.
The pin/aluminum interface is as good and anything, and even surfsailing for several years, never had a problem.

Up to last Saturday, this has been almost exactly my experience. The US systems are like an Uzi, sloppy, but reliable. They don't jam and you can see the problem developing before it fails. Thus, allowing time to change out the old worn unit.

I switched to carbon in in 2013 and used it nearly everyday since. The holes in the carbon unit were not getting bigger as was typical of aluminum. However, the interior (inside diameter) was wearing where the plastic with the pins inserted. I've seen this with aluminum before. I guess I let it get too thin. It gave up the ghost and shredded through when stressed by the wave action pulling the board away from the rig as I ducked the rig under the wave.

Now you can all chime in as to why or why not carbon is a good/bad idea for a mast base. With approximately 570 days on mine before failure, I'd say it was money well spent. The thing weighs about a full pound less than the aluminum equivalent.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at windsurfing shops, so have seen a rather big sample.
When carbon extensions first came out, maybe later '90's, a lot of people bought them, and broke them at an alarming rate, especially surf sailors. I think I saw at least 15 broken carbon mast extensions.
I, OTOH, have broken 3 aluminum extensions, all in the surf washing machine.
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro Pin vs. US Mast Base systems? Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
I would like feedback on the merits of Euro Pin vs. US Mast base connection systems. Which is stronger, easier to deal with around sand, preforms better. Please sound off.

Thanks

Switched to Euro Pin years ago. Vastly superior and more positive connection. Much easier to connect and disconnect. Once you use Euro-pin the old US style feels completely antiquated.
I'm using Chinook and been been beating on them for years in up to mast high surf with zero failures.

The industry has seen the light, Goya's range of mast bases don't even include US style anymore.
rwilde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the Euro pin . Kai clewed is on 8or 9 years ago. Streamlined and Goya systems work great. The Goya team uses them in all size surf. Way better connection than the spring pin bs.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken 2 pin can only go down to 8 cm extension while euro pin can get zero extension which can be important using certain mast sail combinations you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: