myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Aruba or Margarita?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senechalj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 4:10 pm    Post subject: Aruba or Margarita? Reply with quote

I intend to go to Cabarete for 10 days in Spring 2001, and want to spend similar time at another island. Aruba has the reputation, but Margarita looks good, too.

Would appreciate feedback as to recommended choice. Thanks.
gavin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Aruba or Margarita? Reply with quote

I went to Margarita, thought the trip was great but the wind never blew better than 5.5, that was feb-may

I intend to go to Cabarete for 10 days in Spring 2001, and want to spend similar time at another island. Aruba has the reputation, but Margarita looks good, too.

Would appreciate feedback as to recommended choice. Thanks.
looploop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:29 pm    Post subject: Adicora! Reply with quote

Adicora lies just south of Aruba on the lolipop of venezuela. Thus wind is very strong (probably even stronger than on Aruba or Margarita but this is subjective) and there is something like a wave...
There is not much else to do than windsurfing... the village is pretty relaxed and theres almost no tourism (I was two years ago there in February but I would be suprised to find something similar as at El Yaque which became within a few years a touristic desaster...)
Regards
Christian

Anyways check out

www.adicora.com

for more current infos. Otherwise buy a ticket and go there on place to check out (at the time I was there there was nothing cheaper than a flight from one windsurfing place to another but when it comes to your plans its the time restriction that matters...)
kernski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 6:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Aruba or Margarita? Reply with quote

Margarita in the spring is fantastic. Sailed 4.0 or less every day and then a sidetrip to Las Roques for 3 or 4 days with Vela and a day at Coche (speed sailing) is the best. Easy to do and still cheap. Try not to travel through Caracas as it is a pain to spend the night there. Aruba is flat water, offshore wind and pretty boring after a while.
higbee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 12:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Aruba or Margarita? Reply with quote

Aruba does have the reputation, but I cant imagine why.

I spent a week there and I thought it was the worst windsurfing I have ever encountered. The wind was marginal and inconsistent. The only place to windsurf on the whole island is off a crappy beach a few hundred yards long. Its like windsurfing on a short track. You have to go back and forth in exactly the same area, because there is only a narrow channel through the reef. This narrow channel is poorly marked with only 1 or 2 bouys, so I ended up paying for a new fin on my rental board.
You cant stray too far in either direction, because there are either buildings or hills blocking the wind. No waves, either, if youre into that sort of thing. I windsurfed on the track for 2 days before I got disgusted and spent the rest of the week looking for a better spot.

Have you ever been to Kanaha or Sprecklesville in Maui? Now THAT is windsurfing.
fasteddie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: RE: Aruba or Margarita? Reply with quote

Hey Dude
Who are you? Better than that,my name is Eddie Senechal/owner Cape Cod Windsurfing. I have been windsurfing for over 20 years and teaching for 16 years or so.This is not a evry popular name anywhere and have often wished to change it because 99% of the time when I tell another person my last name the response is that they did not understand and I have to repeat it everytime.Look forward to hearing from you. Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: