myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pain in lower back - harness or stance issue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't think you will find any relief from going to the doctor and the only thing a chiropractor ever did for me was get me a settlement when someone "tapped" my bumper, is it any wonder why health insurance costs so much?
The only things that ever helped me were hanging upside down like a bat, laying on an ice pack with my knees bent and legs up and supported, being active and strangely when I would do a crawl job and spend all day under a house doing the GI crawl, when I emerged I was like a new man, zero pain. My belief is when apes started evolving and began walking on two legs the low back became vulnerable from some sort of flaw in evolution. But then again it is said peasants and tribesmen living in the jungle generally never have back pain because they are so active so the conclusion seems to be it's the result of our constantly sitting lifestyle.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Actually I don't think you will find any relief from going to the doctor and the only thing a chiropractor ever did for me was get me a settlement

Research shows that chiropractic is generally more effective than medical doctors at resolving low back pain, chiropractic is temporary and if done too often leads to spinal laxity, spinal surgery is done WAY too often and too ineffectively, snd that, yes, sitting (besides killing us) shortens our hip flexors and induces back pain.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post same old problem. Lower back pain, me too. Windsurfing is definitely a cause and I believe a waist harness pulling on the lower back doesn't help. Sure strong core helps but not a total prevention. When you get tired the muscles can't support anymore. I know most of my older friends went back to seat harnesses to relieve back pain. Check out the new harness reviewed on the Real Water Sports facebook page called the Ride Engine harness.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm rare, but I find a waist harness easier on my twice surgeried back.

-Craig

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Back exercises Reply with quote

Search you tube for Dr Eric Goodman. Lower back exercises. A combination of isometric exercises and stretching . He has worked with Kelly Slater and Laird
Hamilton to drop a few names. I have had great success with them. I have had back issues in the past. They have not come about since doing the routine.
Takes 11 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Back issues Reply with quote

And I use a waist harness for free riding, bump jump and occasional wave sailing
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no back issues with a waist harness and proper stance in SF Bay or Gorge sailing. Now carrying a board and sail down to the Rowena launch, now that my back feels.....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! This is my best argument for light weight boards. The carry
is easier on my back!

-Craig

johnl wrote:
I have no back issues with a waist harness and proper stance in SF Bay or Gorge sailing. Now carrying a board and sail down to the Rowena launch, now that my back feels.....
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Exactly! This is my best argument for light weight boards. The carry
is easier on my back!

-Craig

johnl wrote:

4.2 and below with a 80 liter board is good. But. Bigger sail and a bigger board I feel. I have NO idea how slalom racers do it with 8.0 sails snd bigger.....
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a formula board and an 11.0.

I have a 10 lb anchor with a float that I use to tie up the board (it goes in first). Then the sail with a mechanical U-Joint for easy attachment to the board. I do the same for slalom sometimes too if on a 7.6 or 8.4.

If you carry the whole rig at one time, then a warm up before picking it up is advisable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: